Another Summertime Stumper

Guest Smilodon

Guest Smilodon

Gee, it's been so quiet around these parts. Did I miss anything?

Anyhoo, I 've got a feeling someone will ID this one pretty fast, although you don't see them very often. And I thought it looked pretty cool.

Hints:

Pleistocene

The critters are still around.

Tooth enamel is about 2 inchesx1inch

Fossils have been found in some strange places. but the places make sense given paleo climatology

post-2027-1250524160_thumb.jpg post-2027-1250524330_thumb.jpg

This one is actually for sale - pm me if interested

Guest Smilodon
Ok,I'll go out on a limb and say manatee / dugong. B)B)B):)

A very reasonable answer. Sure looks like it doesn't it? But, that's why I call 'em stumpers.

Guest Smilodon
I don't know, but I would like to know where it came from once the ID is made. An interesting tooth.

Sure, but if I gave the locality now, I think it would give it away a little too soon.

Guest Smilodon
Here's an M2 and M3 to go with your tooth. Maybe that will help narrow down the possibilities.

post-42-1250541156_thumb.jpg

Harry is on to me but he isn't spoiling the party.

Guest Smilodon
Well thats why it didn't look right. I have no experience in non native species. :P

Anson,

That's why I've posted some"foreign fossils" Part of learning is to think "outside the box." I knew that anyone who wasn't pure guessing about the Tiger jaw would have only guessed a north American fossil (lion). When every possible north american big carnivore was guessed. Auriculatis guessed correctly because there were no other north american possibilities left.

When I talk to kids, I let them pass around a dinosaur track and then I ask them how many tracks are on the plate. They look at me like I'm crazy. One, of course. Not one kid has ever turned it over to see the other track.

My intentions being here are honorable, really.

Guest Smilodon
ok...capybara?

OK - if you are playing along with us tonight - it's not South American either - we've only got a couple of continents left

All will be revealed later tonight.

Guest Smilodon
I'm going with aardvark :D

Here is a VERY BIG clue.

Ahem,

While this animal is clearly an herbivore, I understand that it kills more people per year than any other animal where it lives.