is this a fossil

Jkale18

Could be some kind of algae. Not sure though. Probably geologic. Let some other people give opinions. Sure looks very cool though. Great find. :) 

thanks i found a little tiny piece and washed it to make sure it was not live moss and it is not alive so looks like it might be a fossil found i found it in northern california

Could be lichen or mineral differences in/on the rock. (hard to be sure with the quality of the focus.)

Do not see anything fossil about it.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I agree with ynot. Could very well be ingrained lichens or a mineral stain, but without a more sharply focussed photo it's just guesswork.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I agree with ynot. Could very well be ingrained lichens or a mineral stain, but without a more sharply focussed photo it's just guesswork.

Agree with that.

• I found this Informative 1

I'd break a chunk off the dark end and see if the objects penetrate the rock. The dark specs look like holes but could be by the dissolution of minerals or represent fossils.

Yes, could be endolithic lichens and they can also leave the little 'pin holes' behind.

From Researchgate :

Image result for lichen marks rock

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I would go with bioeroded limestone, possible sponge borings (Entobia).

fossil.jpg.0b2fed0cc1d2954aaa9c665b3b695630.jpg.c899be7013da35a0c97a60ee8cf82550.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library