Great Brachiopod Fossil I Found

matthew textor

Hi everyone checkout this brachiopod fossil I found.

it has lots of shells on it and they look great

they are from the Devonian period

here is a photo

post-530-1250526056_thumb.jpg

Love the "hash" plates!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Smilodon
Love the "hash" plates!

Don't know if you remember or knew, but back about 10 years ago on Ebay, when it was fun, there was one seller of massive numbers of these plates from Cincinnatti and then Kentucky but he would acid bathe them and then gently polish them with a bronze wire bush. Oh, what a treat for they eyes!

Don't know if you remember or knew, but back about 10 years ago on Ebay, when it was fun, there was one seller of massive numbers of these plates from Cincinnatti and then Kentucky but he would acid bathe them and then gently polish them with a bronze wire bush. Oh, what a treat for they eyes!

Think that would work with this rock? It's hard limestonepost-1880-1250540700_thumb.jpg

Guest Smilodon
Think that would work with this rock? It's hard limestonepost-1880-1250540700_thumb.jpg

If you have a couple of so-so samples experiment. The bronze brushing made the fossils in matrix look pyritized.

Very aesthetic I've got one here somewhere I'll post a photo.

Matt, that's a nice piece of beach. Is the color in the photo close to the actual color?

Ron E., when I sometimes use a brass brush to clean echinoids, I work carefully to remove all of the artificial patina left by the brush. Just curious why you'd want to add the patina and leave it...? :unsure:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ