Savannah River Hunt ... gonna need a bigger boat

Brett Breakin' Rocks

Hi there,

Well, I bought my first kayak a week ago and hauled it out onto the river for the first time on Friday.  Suffice to say I am glad I planned my trip out with the tide and back 'in' with the tide.  The river apparently runs at a good clip, and I also was reminded that the brain will play funny tricks on you when you are moving in a current and don't have good nearby landmarks for reference.  I was convinced that a dredge across the river was moving upstream as I was furiously paddling to overtake the slow moving beast and make it to the far shore.

The guys on the dredge must've had some quizzical looks on their faces ... and a good chuckle ?  I did eventually fall downstream to the opposite bank sans current and realize that the dredge was firmly planted the whole time. haha  The 1.5 mile-ish paddle only took 30-40 min going out.  I hiked for quite a bit on the banks before I found a promising exposure.  The layers were quite interesting, these clay balls accumulating and actively being created on the river banks were cool looking in the wall. 

20180511_101543_small.jpg.c5ae225cbeca3f1d8e4c3d1e6757f6c6.jpg

20180511_101548_small.thumb.jpg.ee45cda0d5cd118177396c0f245521e9.jpg

20180511_095512_001.jpg.31ad866a8b40eda7c06d91ebbcc16c19.jpg

20180511_095507_small.jpg.784ab434396e987505ae3a801eacd221.jpg

I did eventually find what I was looking for ... mind you .. I must have been practically standing on this Meg the first time I passed the exposure.  I only found it two hours later on my way back .. just sitting there in the sand.

20180511_113522_small.thumb.jpg.9ddbcc68d1876dcab3692c4784deaba1.jpg

20180511_113542_small.thumb.jpg.003a051ddd99d847bc6a9584f30d84fa.jpg

A few of the teeth and a fish vert that I kept ..

02_SavannahRiver_051118_Finds.thumb.jpg.cc5a31c53057b79ec84ead724a8e79c5.jpg

Very nice!  :wub:  I'll have to get out there with my canoe one of these days.  It's only a 4 hr drive (each way).

Don

Nice finds! :)

Thanks for the report and excellent photos. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Awesome meg!:meg:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Very nice!  :wub:  I'll have to get out there with my canoe one of these days.  It's only a 4 hr drive (each way).

Don

You ever come down ping me and I can give you a safe spot to put in ...

Cheers,

B

3 hours ago, Spinosaurus said:

really nice :wub::wub:

2 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Nice finds- I would like to get out there someday.

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice finds! :)

Thanks for the report and excellent photos. 

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Awesome meg!:meg:

1 hour ago, FossilSniper said:

:wub:Nice finds!

Thanks everyone .... it was a nice break from my everyday.  They come about twice a quarter when I can clear out my schedule.  The sore muscles were worth it .... (this time)  :hearty-laugh:

Awesome meg :wub:

Thanks for the nice pictures !

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Nice finds! Congrats!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Wow, Georgia has fossils!?!? :P I'm still trying to find even a gastropod....to no avail. I have to rely on the postal formation for now. Excellent meg tooth! 

34 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

Wow, Georgia has fossils!?!? :P I'm still trying to find even a gastropod....to no avail. I have to rely on the postal formation for now. Excellent meg tooth! 

Whereabouts in Georgia are you located?  I've found some nice fossils in Georgia but I have to travel pretty far and generally speaking there aren't many good sites and most of the ones I collected just a few years ago have been reclaimed or built up.  Alabama is much better for fossil hunting.

Don

Im over in the north east. Jackson county specifically. Somebody told me Georgia's soil is highly acidic and this prevents fossilization. I'll have to take a trip out to savannah one day to do some hunting. :) 

12 hours ago, Bone guy said:

Im over in the north east. Jackson county specifically. Somebody told me Georgia's soil is highly acidic and this prevents fossilization. I'll have to take a trip out to savannah one day to do some hunting. :) 

Well, you aren't very far from fossiliferous locations yourself! Over in the corner opposite you in places like Murray and Floyd county and everywhere in-between there are plenty of Paleozoic exposures of numerous ages to see. Some will need permission, though. As far as the coastal plain is concerned, fossils are almost everywhere. Map for specifics:

3788621_orig.jpg

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Wow cool map! I'll probably take a trip to the coast one day. Problem is it's a long drive and I wouldn't have the time for it. Just have to wait for the perfect weekend :) 

The site on Hwy 27 used to be excellent, but several years ago GDOT widened the hwy and in the process graded the roadcut and covered it with fabric impregnated with seeds of some nasty very tough plant for erosion control.  Now all that remains are some broken fragments of oysters such as Exogyra.  Unfortunately that is a common pattern in Georgia.  The state has also become very aggressive about making mines reclaim their sites as soon as mining operations cease.  Many old kaolin mines used to be great for Eocene sharks, rays, even occasional whales but I don't know of any that are still accessible.  Probably your best bet would be to join a local club or the Georgia Mineral Society, and participate in organized trips.

Don

I love the map and the fact that Georgia divided itself up into counties along the lines of it's underlying geology. marvelous. ;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Nice work and beautiful tooth. So many times I've been zinging along at a good clip against the current, only to come up on a crab pot or other stationary reference only to realize I'm barely moving.

G

21 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I love the map and the fact that Georgia divided itself up into counties along the lines of it's underlying geology. marvelous. ;)

LOL It does look that way, doesn't it?  

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2018 at 10:53 PM, Bone guy said:

Mainly trilobites/brachiopods to the NW and miocene shark teeth in the SE.

There is also a quarry called Cemex Quarry in Houston County where you can find stuff from the Tivola Limestone, which has some quite nicely preserved Eocene invertebrates, but you will need permission to go in, as it is of course a quarry. I have seen the stuff that comes out of there, and there are lots of really nice Bivalves and Echinoids that come from there, particularly Periarchus sand dollars.

Image related:

5b492e518c6c7_Fossilsanddollar1.thumb.jpg.5b67752f4cc02a68c530377296b13707.jpg

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Archived