TWO Fossil Hunting Trips!

Dpaul7

Saturday, May 12 featured TWO Fossil Hunting expeditions! The FIRST one was PHOTO ONLY - We hiked the Staple Bend Tunnel trail - The Staple Bend Tunnel, about 4 miles (6.4 km) east of Johnstown, Pennsylvania, in a town called Mineral Point, was constructed between 1831 and 1834 for the Allegheny Portage Railroad. Construction began on April 12, 1831.[4] This tunnel, at 901 feet (275 m) in length, was the first railway tunnel constructed in the United States. It is rock bored and stone lined. Finished in June 1833, the Staple Bend tunnel was advertised as the first railroad tunnel in the United States. It was the third tunnel of any kind built in the U.S.; the first two tunnels were for other canals in Pennsylvania. You may NOT collect along here...as it is maintained by the National Park Service... but PHOTOS are welcome!  We di dnot see any fossil material here - except for one stone that looked like itmight have shown "fossil raindrops in mud" (pictured):D
THEN we went for Chinese buffet... and BEHIND that building is one of my old fossil haunts.... Sadly, a MAJOR thunderstorm broke out, but Francis Joseph Serenko III, who was with me, found the brachiopods before the storm hit. THIS deposit has crinoids, bivalves, brachiopods and beautiful Worthenia gastropods.  One of the photos shows some of the rock formations - This stone was cut to make the old railway bed.... and drainage culverts - some of which STILL exist. You can see 2 of the drainage culverts, made in the early 1830s. The last 2 photos show the brachiopods Francis found! 

01.jpg

001.jpg

000.jpg

002.jpg

02.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Thanks for the report and pics! Nice brachiopods!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Very interesting report and pictures, love the history bit. :)

Nice brachipods! ! ! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Nice brachs! There sure is some pretty nature around Johnstown!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Indeed... here, nature & history combine.... and add FOSSILS to the mix, and you have a wonderful day!:trilo:

I wonder if those are bivalves instead of brachiopods...

The 'raindrops' piece looks a little too 'violent' compared to any raindrop fossils I've seen - maybe it's just bioturbation instead?

Interesting, anyways.

5 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

I wonder if those are bivalves instead of brachiopods...

Agreed.

45 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

compared to any raindrop fossils I've seen - maybe it's just bioturbation instead?

I think it’s an interesting weathering pattern, I’ve found raindrops before (common in Gettysburg shale) and they are very distinctive.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I think it’s an interesting weathering pattern

That, or an up-ended piece of poured cement.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice ornamentation on those shells - Viola would be very impressed :dinothumb:

(I'd show her but she's still sleeping!)

Archived