My basement treasures. Central New York

Crisjax

On 6/4/2018 at 9:25 PM, Plantguy said:

I just noticed where you are? Maybe the black stuff with the luster is actually anthracite coal rather than a volcanic glass...maybe its all coal...hard to tell some times from pics...

Regards, Chris 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PVViuqYWQK7YpNBWA

On 5/16/2018 at 3:27 AM, Crisjax said:

F5170DF4-A677-4ABA-AF03-01DF6541C5C6.jpeg

Thats a pretty neat piece. It appears to be some type of sedimentary rock that has been weathered and tumbled in a creek for a good while. The harder layers (might just be better cemented together) have stood up a little better to the tumbling/wear and standout from the softer layers. Here's an example I picked up from Calif showing some sedimentary layers that have slightly different compositions but you get the idea.  

5b55b6409060c_NapaValleyCaliforniaweatheredsandstonemudstone1.thumb.jpg.d4fa68b449e62268f46d340164a43022.jpg

I can see the video and cant tell whether someone created that layer you are digging in...but I would guess that mother nature deposited that directly there..it does sure look like coal with its dark color and luster and thats pretty neat...I think my grandparents had a similar basement setup where one wall there had some coal layering exposed in Pennsylvania. 

Regards, Chris