Montana Fossil ID

NicolaiT13

I found these today in southeastern Montana. I am located right on the edge of the Fort Union and Hell Creek formations. I am pretty sure the one on the left is an ammonite. What about the one on the right? Is that just a chunk of coral? 

20180515_194754.jpg

What's the scale of these, please?

Not a coral, but could be a sponge. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The spiral (ish) specimen on the left does not look like an ammonite to me, as it lacks any trace of suture lines.  The one on the right is certainly not a coral, though it isn't clear to me what it actually is.  The Hell Creek Formation is Cretaceous but of terrestrial origin. The Fort Union is Paleocene and also a terrestrial/fresh water deposit.  Neither unit would be expected to produce marine fossils such as ammonites or corals, and corals are very rare anyway in the Western Interior Cretaceous.

Don

• I found this Informative 4

I reckon these are trace fossils - burrows of various sorts, with the sand around them cemented into the lumps. You can see small tubular structures in the middle of some of the features, which ought to be the original burrows.

• I found this Informative 1

Ok. I had to read up a little on trace fossils. Very interesting. I was finding perfectly cylindrical tubes at this site as well. I found other pieces similar to the one on the right above as well. I am still confused about the fossil on the left. 

Some animals, some species of worm for example, make spiral burrows or tubes. 

This could be the preserved infilling of one of these. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Well, there are a couple of options for that. One is a coiled burrow, cutting through itself. The other is that it's all a cementation halo around the small vertical burrow in the centre. My bet is the latter.

Well done on noticing the cylindrical ones as well - that certainly fits with the general interpretation. It's worth noting that trace fossils are extremely useful, when you're interested in the ecology of an assemblage, since they give you information on lots of things that are too squidgy to fossilise (except in rare places with freakish chemistry going on, like the Burgess Shale).

• I found this Informative 3

I think they are sandstone concretions/nodules.  Much more common than burrows in both the Hell Creek and Ft Union.  

• I found this Informative 4

7 hours ago, jpc said:

I think they are sandstone concretions/nodules.  Much more common than burrows in both the Hell Creek and Ft Union.  

I think so too...

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Although there is a remote possibility that the one on the left could be a gastropod mold.

It would be HUGE for the hell creek.