Juvenile Diplomystus

Hello. Every once in a while I see these "juvenile Diplomystus" listed on our favorite auction site. The fins seem to match Diplomystus, but it would be great if someone with more GR knowledge than me could shed some light. The little guy is 1" long, tiny :) 

IMG_0896.PNG

I'm not sure how they can ID these when they haven't fully formed yet, unless the professional diggers/paleontologists know for a fact this is what they looked like.  :headscratch: :unsure:

I suspect it may have something to do with the number of vertebra in the spine,or the shape of the skull/mouth.  :shrug:

These aren't a great display fossil, so, I resist paying what they want for some of them. I'd only be willing to spend a few bucks on one of these. 

At the prices they are listed at, you could get a nicer specimen of a different fish. A few dollars more, and you could get a prep your own kit. 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I suppose you're right about that. They are a little pricy. Thanks for the info :) 

This is my “juvenile Diplomystus”, at least I think it’s a juvenile. It’s 1.75 inches long and looks very similar to my adult one. Not the best preservation, but for £3 it was hard to turn away because honestly I liked the small size, regardless of what it really was.

Yours is so tiny, it’s hard to make out any defining features. Unless it’s a very low price, or if you’re super in love with it, I would pass. :(

66B77E50-57D9-4E50-B4EC-7062BA65987C.jpeg

3420E15E-299A-4FF7-BC98-E74ABB20D061.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

It can be tough to ID juvie fishes from the Green River Fm.  A nice in-focus photo would make it easier.  : )

47 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

This is my “juvenile Diplomystus”, at least I think it’s a juvenile. It’s 1.75 inches long and looks very similar to my adult one. Not the best preservation, but for £3 it was hard to turn away because honestly I liked the small size, regardless of what it really was.

Yours is so tiny, it’s hard to make out any defining features. Unless it’s a very low price, or if you’re super in love with it, I would pass. :(

66B77E50-57D9-4E50-B4EC-7062BA65987C.jpeg

3420E15E-299A-4FF7-BC98-E74ABB20D061.jpeg

Nice photos and T.rex

Well, the (unfortnately too blurry for detail) fish in the first post can be compared to figure 11.47 in Lance Grande's PALEONTOLOGY OF THE GREEN RIVER FORMATION, WITH A REVIEW OF THE FISH FAUNA (1980.) And thelivingdead531's fish can compare to figure 11.48. 

Grande is still a must-read overview of Green River, even if some of the classification of fishes has changed since.

@Bone guy

diplo_juv.png

diplo_juv2.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Thanks for the replies guys! Now I know to save my $ for a better fish

5 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

Thanks for the replies guys! Now I know to save my $ for a better fish

Be sure to check my edited reply above.

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, jpenn said:

Be sure to check my edited reply above.

Cool! I only recently found Grande's information on GR fish. I've been gleaning through it, interesting stuff! That first picture looks a lot like the fish I have here, but at this point I think I'll look for an older diplomystus with more detail. :) 

Thank you for the information @jpenn! I’ll be sure to read up on that more. 

• 1 year later...

Haha! I was wondering if this ever came up, I did snag all the baby fish the owner was selling to add to my collection, they are really tiny, but I love them! Especially the Mioplosus! If you'd like, I can try to post better pictures of the, as I understand the original seller didn't do these baby fishies justice with the blurry photos.

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

I also saw these on our favorite auction site.  I'd really like one but wasnt about to pay their price.  Good luck

RB