What about this Mosasaur tooth?

Wowbnjijdat

What do you guys think about this Mosasaur tooth, with a emerging replacement tooth?

Composite or not?

I have bought many times from the reseller and no problems, he guarantees the authenticity, but with this tooth I doubt..

1800.thumb.jpg.e009d9a6a8999e7d0e668413199fe15f.jpg1700.thumb.jpg.e6b79c5e83a1f65d41ea5fc0e1dc38d4.jpg s-l1600.thumb.jpg.256858709e436072067fa450ccd1b9a0.jpg

Doesn't look right at all to me, the placement and angle of the replacement seem odd and there seems to be 'cement' in several places. 

But let the experts have their say. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The replacement tooth looks like one but the matrix around it appears worked.   Can you take a close look and see if the material around the tip and base has been altered.  The other question is that the crown looks like it's been repaired with all the matrix around it's base.  Hard to say if it's a repair or composite

Yeah no. I'd say this one is hella suspicious.

The good part first. Both the root and tooth crown look quite nice. The colour also matches pretty well.

The bad.

There is a clear line between the crown and root where there is matrix filling. Only the front of the join seems have the two parts touching. Nowhere is there a clear break that is a nice fit. There is a small hole on the back side of the join in the matrix. Especially the hole is an indication that this has been filled in.

The most damning thing about this though, is that the tooth crown is a different shape compared to the erupting replacement tooth crown. Their curves do not match.

So I'd say this is a composite. Stay away, as there are much better specimens out there.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

• 2 weeks later...

By the black cloth that appears in the background of the photo, it seems that the seller of this tooth is a seller who usually publish ads like: "Unpublished, Top Quality, Finest Quality, Top Rare, Top Huge and Museum Grade"...

So beware!

There is the possibility of the small tooth being an emerging replacement, but certainly is that it has not been discovered associated with the larger tooth. Even the curvature between one tooth and another does not match. And there is definitely a line separating the dark staining from the original matrix with the filled fake matrix which has a noticeably lighter color in which the small tooth has been inserted.

image.png.ba5ed42a045a5acfceda49a8826cb00b.png

This is a typical tooth that motivates me to the sport, that is, to run without looking back! :blink: :D

image.png.1e757946fcc3972202d5f5c791024a2b.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

That amount of infill matrix around replacement teeth is completely normal. It's the top tooth that's wrong, not the replacement tooth.

Of course, the amount of infill matrix around replacement teeth is completely normal, but in my opinion it is not at all normal for the array to suddenly change completely in color and I believe there is a very clear line here that indicates this.

image.png.89541cc60da812521475f21fc97be469.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

You outlined all of the matrix in the concavity where the replacement tooth sits. The darker area to the left of your outline is the actual root. Nothing suspicious in that spot.

Archived