Lake Worth Ammonite Hunt

TXHunter

Went to Lake Worth saturday morning. Had a pretty good hunt, lots of heart erchins, some coral and gastropods. I found a few ammonite pieces, but still no whole or major portions of ammonites. This was my second trip. Where are the ammonites at Sansom Park? I have read that there are big ones there. Am I doing something wrong or looking in the wrong area? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am pretty new at all of this.

I will post pics of my finds tonight.

Thanks.

post-1990-1250565904_thumb.jpg

post-1990-1250565919_thumb.jpg

post-1990-1250565934_thumb.jpg

post-1990-1250565942_thumb.jpg

post-1990-1250565956_thumb.jpg

post-1990-1250565965_thumb.jpg

post-1990-1250565976_thumb.jpg

post-1990-1250565986_thumb.jpg

I 820/20 White Settlement Rd , go north look for new home construction , I have stopped and asked if it was okay to hunt fossils there , but the workers did not speak English . Dallas Paleo went there led by Lance , he will know if it is okay to hunt there or not .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

Where are the ammonites at Sansom Park? I have read that there are big ones there. Am I doing something wrong or looking in the wrong area? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am pretty new at all of this.

Thanks.

I have found whole ones up towards the top of one of the trails. House a huge one, 15inch acrossm and a bunch of others just below it. I had to break them out of the limestone trail.

Like NSR said, I would look else where for them. Think creeks, or drainage ditches, or anywhere you see limestone showing.

Anyone had any luck in the Fossil Creek area?

With a name like that.....:).

I was talking to someone about that creek the other day. I say check it out!

Hi Newto,have you tried the Lake Texoma area yet?There are a few formations that outcrop around that lake.

An easy one to get to is the Duck Creek formation which outcrops on the Texas side by the Denison Dam.There are lots of goodies to be found there including Echinoids,Sharks Teeth,Ammonites including Heteromorphs and large Eopachydiscus and Mortonoceras Ammos,Pyritized Small Ammonites,Fossil Fish,Ptychodus teeth and a few other things I'm sure I left out.Hope this helps!

Hi Newto,have you tried the Lake Texoma area yet?There are a few formations that outcrop around that lake.

An easy one to get to is the Duck Creek formation which outcrops on the Texas side by the Denison Dam.There are lots of goodies to be found there including Echinoids,Sharks Teeth,Ammonites including Heteromorphs and large Eopachydiscus and Mortonoceras Ammos,Pyritized Small Ammonites,Fossil Fish,Ptychodus teeth and a few other things I'm sure I left out.Hope this helps!

That is great info snakekeeper, I was going to spend a full day at the NSR saturday, I might have to jet up to Texoma for half a day.