A nice Trigonia

Ludwigia

Incredible finds!

Did they just pop out as such from the matrix (or just laying on the ground), or did you find them encased in lots of matrix (and used your formidable prepping skills to make them look this way)? 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

4 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Incredible finds!

Did they just pop out as such from the matrix (or just laying on the ground), or did you find them encased in lots of matrix (and used your formidable prepping skills to make them look this way)? 

I removed them directly from the bank and had a few hours of prep to do.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 5/17/2018 at 7:35 PM, Jeffrey P said:

That Trigonia is magnificent and you know how much I love bivalves! Congratulations Roger. Glad you were able to take advantage collecting in a site that is normally off limits. Here are some Cretaceous Trigonia in Ralph's collection:

Those are nice Trigonias.  I always assumed that the NJ Cretaceous mollusks were impressions or internal casts.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

4 hours ago, erose said:

Most in our Texas rocks are crappy steinkerns. That is a beautiful specimen.

They're often nicely preserved here in the middle Jurassic. Here's a single valve that I just finished prepping. The matrix was soft enough to be able to easily expose the hinge.

2a.jpg.4158db0f4ba7e60c67b4b245246c62b5.jpg

2b.jpg.4e11707a37ada07184f0c156b1cd48e3.jpg

2c.jpg.f8077cbd1247f107778807c19e157607.jpg

I figure I might as well also show the last prepped find from this bank. It's a Grammatodon subdecussata together with a terebratulid brachiopod and another bivalve which I haven't been able to identify yet.

L334a.thumb.jpg.c152dccc6e3c2e0b2f81a7e1da826c04.jpg

L334b.thumb.jpg.23e6faa2ab35046932dd6b3174f34777.jpg

L334c.thumb.jpg.b9a26c8dede894e6a5414edad818323a.jpg

L334d.thumb.jpg.01967b89c487101d792ae43be6bbfde2.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

The preserved detail of the shells ans even the epibionts is astounding! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

56 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The preserved detail of the shells ans even the epibionts is astounding! :)

Yup. Those bivalves were a favorite abode for tube worms, oysters and other such settlers.

:faint:

You've outdone yourself, Roger - those are beautiful finds and amazing prep work!!!  I love the bivalve with the star on it - what a nice association!  :wub:

:envy:

That hinge came out surprisingly well! Such intricate detail doesn't often get preserved so well on a 170 million-year-old shell.

In fact, many of my 120'000-year-old shells are much more worn than that, even though less than a thousandth of the age!

Impressive, is all I have to say.

Again, superb prep job (I seem to be frequently repeating myself when looking at your fossils :P)

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

12 hours ago, Monica said:

:faint:

You've outdone yourself, Roger - those are beautiful finds and amazing prep work!!!  I love the bivalve with the star on it - what a nice association!  :wub:

Thanks, Monica :D

9 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

:envy:

That hinge came out surprisingly well! Such intricate detail doesn't often get preserved so well on a 170 million-year-old shell.

In fact, many of my 120'000-year-old shells are much more worn than that, even though less than a thousandth of the age!

Impressive, is all I have to say.

Again, superb prep job (I seem to be frequently repeating myself when looking at your fossils :P)

I also never cease to be amazed at the marvelous preservation of some of these middle Jurassic fossils. It helped with these particular ones that their shells were permineralized into the stable form of calcite and were incased in an oxygen and solvent free environment which kept any erosive forces at bay.

• I found this Informative 1

The poor lonely lowly bivalve......     These are magnificent Roger!   someday, when I run into my bivalve collection, I will some photos.  Thanks for showing these.

RB

3 hours ago, RJB said:

The poor lonely lowly bivalve......     These are magnificent Roger!   someday, when I run into my bivalve collection, I will some photos.  Thanks for showing these.

RB

You're welcome, Ron. I look forward to seeing yours someday.

@Ludwigia Hi I hope you don’t mind I just wanted to show you my favourite in my collection. It is from an old Victorian collection and I really love the copperplate style of writing on it.  

Thank you for showing your beautiful bivalves. 

All the best Bobby

E7D1DA80-1C50-44D7-A5C0-499D262C2E99.jpeg

86F78B7B-48A8-481F-AB5D-DE31CC925476.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

@Ludwigia Hi I hope you don’t mind I just wanted to show you my favourite in my collection. It is from an old Victorian collection and I really love the copperplate style of writing on it.  

All the best Bobby

Nice one with an historic touch.

15 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

All the best Bobby

Looking good Bobby!!!

Max Derème