A nice Trigonia

Ludwigia

I was invited last Saturday to take part in a meeting of amateur and professional paleontologists in the Rhine valley. We met at a place called the Kahlenberg in Ringsheim. This used to be an iron ore mine before it was turned into a garbage dump in the 70's and was transformed a couple of decades later into a modern recycling center, developing methods of recycling which have been copied all over the world. The entire site, about 100 acres, has been renaturalized and is cultivated in such a way that it has become a breeding place and habitat for many rare flora and fauna. It is also a well-known site for geological and paleontological research where a small section of the area is set aside for this purpose. We were shown a couple of films about the recycling methods and the flora and fauna and then we were treated to an extremely informative lecture about the geology and fossil fauna of the Aalenian and Bajocian layers which are exposed here. The site is generally off limits to collectors, but our group was allowed to do a couple of hours of digging after lunch. I was lucky enough to find this perfectly preserved and complete 6cm. long Trigonia costata bivalve from the Bajocian humphresianum zone.

L332a.thumb.jpg.20be9e562fc17172fce59ac30282557c.jpg

L332b.thumb.jpg.c779d5444ae4f1bca30179a4aec06dd4.jpg

L332c.thumb.jpg.54e9a855da285586e6d79a03bfca209d.jpg

L332d.thumb.jpg.95477b4e143de8d11e19bfa9efedc89b.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I’m not typically one to obsess over bivalves but that is a very pretty shell!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

27 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

That is a beauty, great find . Also rare to find complete . 

19 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Wot Bobby said. 

Magnificent! :):wub:

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

I’m not typically one to obsess over bivalves but that is a very pretty shell!

As you may have already guessed, I'm quite pleased with it :D

• I found this Informative 1

Roger, that is gorgeous. What a fantastic find. Congratulations on it and on your invitation to be part of that exclusive group.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

An excellent find from the Rhine valley. I look forward to my own adventures there next summer, but doubt I would come away with this fine beauty. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

16 minutes ago, sixgill pete said:

Roger, that is gorgeous. What a fantastic find. Congratulations on it and on your invitation to be part of that exclusive group.

8 minutes ago, Kane said:

An excellent find from the Rhine valley. I look forward to my own adventures there next summer, but doubt I would come away with this fine beauty. :) 

I assume you're talking about Germany in general and not specifically Kahlenberg?

A slendid bivalve Roger!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

13 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I assume you're talking about Germany in general and not specifically Kahlenberg?

We have a friend in the south Rhine who came from a small village (Fahr am Rhein). We're hoping to tour about. We are still in the planning stages (as well as paying a visit to you!). We’ll be not far from the Hunsruck shales.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

:faint:

What a lovely specimen, Roger - congratulations on the wonderful find!!!

That Trigonia is magnificent and you know how much I love bivalves! Congratulations Roger. Glad you were able to take advantage collecting in a site that is normally off limits. Here are some Cretaceous Trigonia in Ralph's collection:

image1 (389).JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Just now, Jeffrey P said:

That Trigonia is magnificent and you know how much I love bivalves! Congratulations Roger. Glad you were able to take advantage collecting in a site that is normally off limits. Here are some Cretaceous Trigonia in Ralph's collection:

image1 (389).JPG

WOW! ! ! 

:drool:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

beautiful specimen

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

looks like a piece of art carved out of sardonyx - absolutely beautiful. did you have to do a lot of cleaning to it, or the matrix around it loose? whichever way, you did a great job and have a great piece. Bucket list type of thing. Congratulations. 

15 hours ago, Darktooth said:

A slendid bivalve Roger!

14 hours ago, Monica said:

:faint:

What a lovely specimen, Roger - congratulations on the wonderful find!!!

13 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

:faint::envy::faint:

13 hours ago, ToothMan said:

Wow that is really cool! A beautiful bivalve. Great find!!

12 hours ago, Herb said:

beautiful specimen

8 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Awesome find,Roger.

6 hours ago, DanKurek said:

Neat Find! :ighappy:

Wow! This little guy is getting a pretty positive reaction! Maybe he should try his luck in the FOTM.

15 hours ago, Kane said:

We have a friend in the south Rhine who came from a small village (Fahr am Rhein). We're hoping to tour about. We are still in the planning stages (as well as paying a visit to you!). We’ll be not far from the Hunsruck shales.

Great news, Kane! I'll keep the doormat clean for you. Maybe we can talk out some details when I'm over there.

14 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Ralph sure does have some impressive stuff in his collection. That family of the Trigoniidae has some amazing sculptures, doesn't it?

1 hour ago, dalmayshun said:

looks like a piece of art carved out of sardonyx - absolutely beautiful. did you have to do a lot of cleaning to it, or the matrix around it loose? whichever way, you did a great job and have a great piece. Bucket list type of thing. Congratulations. 

It was a little complicated, since part of the matrix was silicified, but fortunately there was mostly a good separating layer between matrix and fossil and the shell was sturdy enough to allow abrading at the pressure which was needed.

Definitely FOTM worthy. Great color and detail.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

The 3rd image makes it look like a heart! <3

Definitely a keeper!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

1 hour ago, Innocentx said:

Definitely FOTM worthy. Great color and detail.

Done :)

21 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

The 3rd image makes it look like a heart! <3

Definitely a keeper!

:D

22 hours ago, Plantguy said:

That's another beauty Roger! congrats. Regards, Chris 

Thanks Cris. I found a few other bivalves also on that day. This time a stellar Pholadomya murchisonii, stellar because of the Isocrinus sp. stem ossicle nestled between the valves.

L333a.thumb.jpg.2d0c4079abb166d7a44d8b173529a745.jpg

L333b.thumb.jpg.0afe41260acc90487ba3c0a4aa2d3df4.jpg

L333d.1.jpg.c20bc1cc908d32502e54b0016b1e3984.jpg

L333e.jpg.f679e0e71daab677255d4547191197ef.jpg

• I found this Informative 3