Cove Point Tooth Hunting

ToothMan

Hi all, ToothMan here. Last Thursday I had the day off from work, and ventured back to one of my favorite hunting grounds, Cove Point. It was beautiful out, sunny and 80 degrees! I got out there around ten, and began walking the beach. There was what appeared to be a school field trip out and about in the form of 20 or so elementary aged children and some chaperones. It looked like they had probably come out to see the lighthouse and to spend a few minutes on the beach. I saw some of them collecting shells. There was also a dog running about with them on the beach, that I ended up running into again later after everyone was gone.

I walked along the point and was finding some smaller teeth, but it was high tide and very windy out. This meant bigger waves and not a lot of material on the beach to search through. The large waves kept me from looking too hard in the surf. After a little bit, I decided I would come back later and look more. I walked past the field trip group again, and asked one of the adults if anyone had found anything good. They said the kids were looking for sharks teeth, but weren't having any luck. I had found a few small ones, and I already have a ton, so I asked if any of the kids might want some. They were ecstatic! I opened up my hand and let them pick whichever ones they wanted! I then explained some tips in finding them, and wished them luck. They were so happy! I was glad to pass on some of my smaller finds and maybe get some of them more interested in fossil hunting. So then I went home for a little bit, planning to return later.

After a few hours, I headed back to the beach. The tide had gone out by now, the beach was empty, and the wind had died down a bit. The conditions were prime for fossil hunting!! I made my way back to the point, by the lighthouse, and starting finding some decent teeth. A few hemis and two smaller makos, one being the smallest I've ever found! I'm not sure if these are smaller in size being posterior or if they are perhaps from juvenile specimens? Perhaps someone can enlighten me. Anyways, the dog I saw earlier with the field trip group was still here, but everyone else was gone! 

I figured he must not have been any of theirs, and maybe got lost. I hung out with him for a bit but no one else was around looking for him. I made my way around the rocks and seawall to the other side of the lighthouse where there's another long stretch of beach. This beach runs all the way past the Dominion natural gas plant and up towards calvert cliffs and flag ponds. I check this side often, but I never go too far. The dog followed me over, and took off way down the beach! There's nothing else close to civilization down this way aside from a trail through the woods leading back to the very end of cove point road. I knew if I didn't go get the dog, he would be lost and probably never found. I followed him for probably a mile before I could get him to come back with me, thus putting my fossil hunt on hold, but I just couldnt leave him!

He had no tag, only a collar. Getting him to follow me back was tough. Eventually we made it to the trail, but he was so tired out he laid down in the shade and wouldnt budge. It was so hot out and the sun shining hard. I knew he was in trouble so I left him, making my way back to my car about a mile away to get some water for us and a rope I could leash him with until I could find the owner. It took me about 45 minutes to get back but he was gone! I really hope hes okay and someone else found him. I did all I could do. At least I got him to come back closer to where there are houses and people. 

After that, the hunt was back on! I returned to the point, this time bringing a small pole net with me. I took some suggestions from my last post from you guys and got a little strainer type net on a pole. It really helped me scoop items out of the surf! Its come in so handy, as most times im out there its tough to grab things before another wave takes it away. And that's where I find all my large teeth just inside the water line where the waves crash.

About an hour into searching later and I spotted this huge mako!! I scooped it with the net and pulled it out onto the sand! Its a beautiful specimen with nice color and a huge curve to it! All in all, I was pretty happy with the day. Found a few nice mako's, I love the huge one and the colors on the little one are spectacular!! I got so sunburned while I was out, a week later and I'm still peeling! Totally worth it though. Well that's my trip report guys, thanks for reading and ill see you on the next one! Some pictures below!0510181805.thumb.jpg.72900eb7ae13e4c26df34ed624ce1002.jpg0510181806a.thumb.jpg.9a77df735807032804911d733759f24b.jpg0510181806.thumb.jpg.e1a98ae6bcdb3c6741ceef2ddcd05640.jpg0510181808.thumb.jpg.1df057dfa82378b5863d40ae8ba10ed8.jpg0510181810.thumb.jpg.fbb0dc667b1f7d005331d133d09fccba.jpg

A few more pics: one more close up, the dog I tried to help, and a beach picture looking up towards the point.

5200.thumb.jpeg.6f820b44f28fb9fa5321dfadde9df12e.jpeg6192.thumb.jpeg.73ab636aea9d1591cbb16f3f6e1a2889.jpeg0510181810a.thumb.jpg.fa685cd574a705e0334081ff86f09a57.jpg

Great day of hunting. Nice weather, good finds and a good deed. Kudos!!

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Nice outdoor dentist's office! :meg:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Two good deeds! 

Helping the children and the dog! 

Lovely report, nice photos and some pretty good teeth too! :)

The brownish patterned tooth is beautiful. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Nice teeth! Good on ya for helping the dog and making the kids day! 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

43 minutes ago, sixgill pete said:

Great day of hunting. Nice weather, good finds and a good deed. Kudos!!

Thank you! It was so beautiful out. All this week the weather has been terrible, I'm itching to get back out there!

39 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Nice outdoor dentist's office! :meg:

Haha thanks!

38 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Two good deeds! 

Helping the children and the dog! 

Lovely report, nice photos and some pretty good teeth too! :)

The brownish patterned tooth is beautiful. 

Thank you! It was a lovely day. I agree, ive never seen a coloration like that! Thought it was pretty. Ive got some others with really cool colorations but none with that deep rich browns and reds.

35 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Nice teeth! Good on ya for helping the dog and making the kids day! 

Thank you! Had to put some smiles on their faces!

17 minutes ago, Jazfossilator said:

Sounds like a great day, nice teeth!:D

Thanks, it was! Looking forward to getting back out there when the weather clears up. All this past week it's been rain. Need to scratch that fossil itch! :meganim:

Sounds like a great trip! And don't worry about the dog, dogs are amazing in how they can find their way home no matter where they are. A friend of mine lost a dog for weeks and they found him! Alive! :D 

As others have said, beautiful colors!!!

thank you sir for sharing your story and pics!

peace

Nice teeth & a good story. Can I ask where you parked? I would love to go down there early sometime instead if waiting for the lighthouse grounds to open.

5 hours ago, Kimi64 said:

Nice teeth & a good story. Can I ask where you parked? I would love to go down there early sometime instead if waiting for the lighthouse grounds to open.

Thanks! My grandparents had a house down there and after they passed years ago, it was inherited into my family. I park there and walk out to the beach. Perhaps I will see you out there sometime!

19 hours ago, ToothMan said:

Thanks! My grandparents had a house down there and after they passed years ago, it was inherited into my family. I park there and walk out to the beach. Perhaps I will see you out there sometime!

Sounds good to me. I have a friend who has a house on Poplar, but she hasn't been down there since I got bit by the fossil hunting bug. I haven't asked for permission to park there yet. I have been waiting for an invite first, but I might ask before the summer gets to far gone. 

Archived