Basilosaurus vs. Zygorhiza vs. Dourodon teeth- What's the difference?

Macrophyseter

I've found a couple of listings of archaeocete teeth frags from Harleyville, South Carolina on a fossil seller. I know that Basilosaurus cetoidesZygorhiza kochii, and Dorudon serratus all exist in this area, with a couple of examples of all three having been found there (now in Charleston Museum collection). However, is there a way to differentiate between them when it comes to teeth, specifically incisors? Some images of the listings are below.

First tooth measures 2.6 inches. Second tooth measures 2.2 inches, but is a frag so I imagine that it may be much bigger if restored. Third tooth measures 3.75 inches.

image.thumb.png.4917d4e4575ba36abb2905cca1682fcd.pngimage.thumb.png.6c19f9e9c6ca8892aec4c879bdf4991a.png

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Uhen (2013) concluded that there weren't any Zygorhiza specimens from SC and reidentified them as other basilosaurids (can't remember which); there is also Chrysocetus healyorum which is quite small, and Cynthiacetus sp. - I suspect these might be Dorudon serratus, but these teeth are exceedingly difficult to identify and I would recommend Basilosauridae indet.

Archived