Maximo the Titanosaur

Raggedy Man

The Field Museum has revealed the name of the new titanosaur that is being installed in Stanley Field Hall in the next few weeks.   His scientific name is Patagotitan mayorum.  He lived about 100 million years ago in what is now Patagonia, Argentina.  The spanish word maximo translates to "maximum" or "most" in English.  This name references his massive size!

The largest dinosaur ever discovered is on his way to the Field Museum and we can't wait for you to meet him. Our giant pre-historic friend, Máximo the Titanosaur, will make his debut at the museum this June. 

This tremendous titan weighed about 70 tons, roughly as much as 10 African elephants. 
Máximo is about 122 feet in length. To put that in Chicago terms, he’s as long as two accordion CTA buses.
Máximo’s head will reach the second-story balcony, perfect for selfies!

6a0105351bb26c970c0223c84bec99200c-800wi.jpg.f3e7c3b10b2739314ac991d91e0bbf5c.jpg

https://www.fieldmuseum.org/about/press/biggest-dinosaur-ever-discovered-coming-field-museum-2018-thanks-gift-kenneth-c-griffin

...I'm back.

Thank you @Raggedy Man that is going to be amazing but I still glad I got to see Sue in her place at the entrance of the museum. Mrs Rico and I was first into the field Museum one morning and shared breakfast in the company of Sue a really happy memory. We now have another reason to go back to Chicago. :dinothumb:

2 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Thank you @Raggedy Man that is going to be amazing but I still glad I got to see Sue in her place at the entrance of the museum. Mrs Rico and I was first into the field Museum one morning and shared breakfast in the company of Sue a really happy memory. We now have a reason to go back to Chicago. :dinothumb:

I was there in the day they opened for the first time with Sue. The line into the museum reached as far as the planetarium. My father and I showed up at 5am and it still took an hour to reach the door. I plan on taking the train down and getting the first pictures of Maximo for TFF. HOPEFULLY, the line wouldn't 2 miles again...lol. Then again, it would be nice to see that amount of interest by the public in paleontology.

...I'm back.

6 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

I was there in the day they opened for the first time with Sue. The line into the museum reached as far as the planetarium. My father and I showed up at 5am and it still took an hour to reach the door. I plan on taking the train down and getting the first pictures of Maximo for TFF. HOPEFULLY, the line wouldn't 2 miles again...lol. Then again, it would be nice to see that amount of interest by the public in paleontology.

Now that is a memory you can’t forget. It really will be an incredible sight to behold so I hope so.

It’s crazy to think anything that big could ever have lived! 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived