Craigleith, Ontario Trilobite

GavySwan

Took our 4-year-old on a little fossil hunting trip to Craigleith, Ontario today. She had a couple nice finds (the kid knows a trilobite pygidium when she sees one!) but we were really hoping to find a whole bug. 

We were in luck! I’m so pleased with this find. I was looking through broken slabs of shale, prying it apart with my hands, and this little dude was just sitting inches away watching me! 

I think it’s pseudogygites latimarginatus again.

DE40F833-B729-4810-8CA0-193E93D40864.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

I think your id is correct. 

A beautiful find. 

Congratulations. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I would be doing my happy dance. That is a wonderful find. Big congratulations and thanks for sharing it with us. 

Wow! It's one thing to find a whole trilobite, but finding one that doesn't need prep work is great!

You have the correct ID. Nice bug

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Wonderful find!!! So you were not able to take that trilobite home??? If not, do you give it to the park rangers or just sit it down and let mother nature take it's toll on it?

What a beauty!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks all! I’m so happy! And thank you for confirming the ID. 

Minnbuckeye, that’s correct. We typically let them weather because we don’t have the equipment to get them out. A lot of people bring them to the park store if they can get them out, or leave them on a picnic table for others to enjoy. 

What a great first for a complete trilobite! 

Congratulations! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I hunt for these near Newberry, the U.P. of Michigan., I keep hoping as you did, for a whole one. One of these days. That is a beauty. Congratulations. 

If it is allowed, I'd take a shot with a good old hammer n' chisel. That beauty does not deserve to be torn apart by nature. 
It would be better to crack the trilobite while trying to save it than to leave it there and watch it disappear over the months.
Cracks can be fixed with glue, anyways. :) 

Oh, and did I mention this? Amazing find!! Trilobites like that are what I dream of every night before fossil trips. ;)

8 hours ago, FossilSniper said:

If it is allowed, I'd take a shot with a good old hammer n' chisel. That beauty does not deserve to be torn apart by nature. 
It would be better to crack the trilobite while trying to save it than to leave it there and watch it disappear over the months.
Cracks can be fixed with glue, anyways. :) 

Oh, and did I mention this? Amazing find!! Trilobites like that are what I dream of every night before fossil trips. ;)

Agh, I agree! But I didn’t bring a rock hammer or a chisel—I doubt they’d allow us to carry them in the park anyways, but also from a safety standpoint, 4 year olds and rock hammers don’t mix so well. ;)

Here’s Sparklesaurus with one of her finds.  Luckily there are so many fossils at Craigleith that surface hunting is rewarding by itself. 

E71F544B-2414-426E-A134-A9D2A04DB9BF.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

Raising the kid right, AND finding a beaut of a bugger! :trilo:

I think you can call it a good day.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.