Recommendations for NY Devonian Limestone and Shale Splitting Gear

The Jersey Devil

Hello everyone,

I will be going out for the first time to collect the lower Devonian Helderberg Group. I am wondering about which chisel and geology hammer are most appropriate for splitting the rock. Any help is appreciated.

Joseph

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Lower Devonian Helderberg Limestone can be very tough unless it's quite weathered. Sometimes fossils just pop out with little effort or you can find them loose on the ground. I would recommend a hand sledge and a big chisel for the harder stuff. I wonder where you're going.

• I found this Informative 4

Agree with Jeffrey, the better specimens will be hopefully free of matrix or at worst exposed in a hand-sized piece of matrix. I generally used my geo pick to turn material or knock things down in size. Rarely chiseled anything out. But a good mix of chisels from 1/4” to a wide brick-set was carried in my bag. Crack hammers are best for any heavy work but I kept mine in the car with the bigger chisels and pry bars. If it was worthy, it was worth a walk back to get the gear.

Have fun and good luck. I miss the NY Devonian, especially those Helderberg Group formations.

• I found this Informative 1