Cap-Gris-Nez: sponge?

Max-fossils

Hi all,

Found this at the beach in Cap-Gris-Nez, France. The fossils there are usually Jurassic, but I'm not sure if this one is from the same layers. 

Looks like it might be a sponge to me? Maybe not. 

Looking forward to your opinions,

Max

IMG_7981.JPG

IMG_7982.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

IMG_7983.JPG

IMG_7984.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

I don't think this is a fossil, looks more like eroded stone, they can get pretty weird forms sometimes.

1 minute ago, gigantoraptor said:

I don't think this is a fossil, looks more like eroded stone, they can get pretty weird forms sometimes.

That's also a strong possibility. Perhaps one eaten by worm tubes or another lithophagic animal?

Max Derème

Looks like it could be a bored piece of sandstone. Detailed up-close photos will show if this is a sponge or just a bored rock. What is the rock made of? If it is all sediment, silt and sand cemented together then it probably not a sponge. If it is a sponge, then you should see organic structures built by the sponge such as pores, canals, spicules etc. Most sponge fossils that I have seen are made of calcite or quartz. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 minute ago, Max-fossils said:

That's also a strong possibility. Perhaps one eaten by worm tubes or another lithophagic animal?

I would say worm tubes, but the bigger holes can be caused by bivalves from the genus Barnea. These occur in the North-Sea

3 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

I would say worm tubes, but the bigger holes can be caused by bivalves from the genus Barnea. These occur in the North-Sea

Worm tubes it is. I've collected several Barnea (B. candida) shells, and I am pretty sure that these holes are too small to be made by that species. 

5 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Looks like it could be a bored piece of sandstone. Detailed up-close photos will show if this is a sponge or just a bored rock. What is the rock made of? If it is all sediment, silt and sand cemented together then it probably not a sponge. If it is a sponge, then you should see organic structures built by the sponge such as pores, canals, spicules etc. Most sponge fossils that I have seen are made of calcite or quartz. 

I agree it probably is. Not seeing anything that looks organic up close (although I'll check again under the microscope to be sure). 

Max Derème

55 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Pholad borings , in my opinion. 

Would be a mighty small pholad then... I think worm tubes is more likely

Max Derème

Archived