Bivalve from Cap-Gris-Nez

Max-fossils

Hi all,

Wondering what bivalve species this is. Found at Cap-Gris-Nez, France. From the Jurassic. 

Looks like it may be a Pholadomya species to me? Not sure...

Thanks in advance,

Max

IMG_7951.JPG

IMG_7952.JPG

IMG_7953.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

This block was found not too far away and seems to contain the same species (but in lesser condition / with more matrix still on it)

IMG_7948.JPG

IMG_7949.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Yes, Pholadomya, but there are so many species i can't say which one for sure, but maybe,just maybe P. protei? 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, Pholadomya, but there are so many species i can't say which one for sure, but maybe,just maybe P. protei? 

Time period does seem to fit, but the few images I am seeing online of the species aren't very well-matching...

5b0085de07087_Pholadomya_protei_clam_Jurassic_La_Heve_Cliffs_Normandy_France_-_Houston_Museum_of_Natural_Science_-_DSC01789.thumb.JPG.e3215f7f87b288a7da54539e2c29045a.JPG

But still thank you Adam!

Max Derème

Just now, Max-fossils said:

Time period does seem to fit, but the few images I am seeing online of the species aren't very well-matching...

5b0085de07087_Pholadomya_protei_clam_Jurassic_La_Heve_Cliffs_Normandy_France_-_Houston_Museum_of_Natural_Science_-_DSC01789.thumb.JPG.e3215f7f87b288a7da54539e2c29045a.JPG

But still thank you Adam!

It's a very variable species, but i'm far from certain! 

Image result for pholadomya france

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

12 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

It's a very variable species, but i'm far from certain! 

Image result for pholadomya france

Again, the ridges are concentric and not radial (kinda parallel to the umbo, and not perpendicular). Even though the ridges on mine are radial. 

And in bivalve ID that's a critical aspect which is definitely species-defining (well I've never heard of a bivalve species on which some specimens had concentric ridges and others radial ones...)

Max Derème

12 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

It's a Pholadomya alright. Perhaps P. fidicula. Could also be P. zietenii. They are both quite similar.

Both seem like good matches, but I'm gonna go with Pholadomya fidicula. Appears to be from the Jurassic too, so that's good. 

pholadomya-fidicula-j.sowerby--487-p.thumb.jpg.740187d44d3e1e95519c679151aba410.jpg

The spacing between the radial ridges seems to match very well with mine, while P. zietenii (this is a picture of one of your specimens :)) has its ridges more closely spaced:

gallery_2384_1109_73019.thumb.jpg.2d55340e9f46517b4a2d12e98e2e2809.jpg

I'm not finding much info on Pholadomya zietenii though... Where did you find the ID for your shell?

Thanks a lot for your help Roger!

Max Derème

On 5/20/2018 at 11:12 AM, Max-fossils said:

I'm not finding much info on Pholadomya zietenii though... Where did you find the ID for your shell?

@Ludwigia 

?

Just out of curiosity :) 

Max Derème

13 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I got the id from a paleontologist who specializes in bivalves.

Ah ok

Max Derème