Max-fossils

Hi all,

Found this big ammonite at a landslide in the cliffs at Wimereux, France. It's from the Jurassic. 

Do you guys think it is worth prepping? If so, what tools/techniques should I use, and what should I expect as a result?

And do you have any other tips for an amateur preparator like me?

Thanks in advance,

Max

IMG_7988.JPG

IMG_7989.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Maybe a bit of broken outer whorl? 

I'm not sure I'd bother, but it's up to you. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I am sure is not a ammonite

J collecting only fossils since 30 years old,ammonites,heteromorphe ammonite,crabs,fish trilobit, sea urshins, mammals, etc...J am married . Sorry for my enghish

@RJB @Tidgy's Dad @herve @Ludwigia @caldigger

Maybe these pictures will help.

This is approximately what I think it's like.

5b01371ba5a0c_IMG_7988(1).thumb.jpg.3404cf3554237637ab2d63b707f29f55.jpg

Or like this (might make a bit more sense)

5b01380d795c5_IMG_7988(2).thumb.jpg.89a047581a81e17cf536914238254f2a.jpg

I think that bump on the right side is simply a clutch of matrix, and not part of the actual fossil.

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

It's mostly this thing that made me wonder. The flat part here seems a little too precise to be simply geologic, and looks like it's a place where part of the whorl broke off.

IMG_7990.thumb.JPG.46ee90fc87c7c8176983a89a305711bf.JPG

But it is also very likely that it is simply Mother Nature playing tricks on my eyes, and that there is no fossil whatsoever here! Those pesky pseudofossils :P 

Btw, I was also wondering, what are those weird tubes (which can be seen in the very first picture)? Maybe pieces of coral?

Max Derème

Well, you could have a go at it with small chisels if you don't have a scribe, but my impression is still that there's no ammonite in there, or at least, if there's something there, then only a partial.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 5/20/2018 at 2:58 AM, Max-fossils said:

But it is also very likely that it is simply Mother Nature playing tricks on my eyes,

Im thinkin this too?  I wish you good luck though. :)

RB

On 5/20/2018 at 4:28 PM, Ludwigia said:

Well, you could have a go at it with small chisels if you don't have a scribe, but my impression is still that there's no ammonite in there, or at least, if there's something there, then only a partial.

7 hours ago, RJB said:

Im thinkin this too?  I wish you good luck though. :)

RB

Alright thanks. Seeing the general consensus of there most likely not actually being an ammonite, I've decided not to prep it (yet, at least).

Thanks for saving me from probably wasteful hours of prepping!

Max Derème

Dont feel bad @Max-fossils, Ive waisted more hours than one could count getting down to a fossil only to find out its not worth my time. 

RB

4 minutes ago, RJB said:

Dont feel bad @Max-fossils, Ive waisted more hours than one could count getting down to a fossil only to find out its not worth my time. 

RB

Haha I'm not feeling bad at all. In fact I'm relieved that I've been warned in time and didn't waste any time. 

I'm sorry to hear about your wasted hours though...

Max Derème

Just now, Max-fossils said:

'm sorry to hear about your wasted hours though...

Dont be sorry.  With the crab concs, its what I have to do in order to get the good ones. 

RB

DSCN1191.JPG

19 minutes ago, RJB said:

Dont be sorry.  With the crab concs, its what I have to do in order to get the good ones. 

RB

That's a mighty collection! All those hours are definitely worth it after all :trilosurprise::crab:

Max Derème

2 hours ago, RJB said:

RB

DSCN1191.JPG

This guys got a serious case of crabs!

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

@RJB Seeing that you're absolutely loaded with crabs, do you have a top 10 list of your favourites in the collection? Would love to see!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

3 hours ago, Vaniman said:

What is the matrix material?

Every conc is different, but its all purty hard rock.

7 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

@RJB Seeing that you're absolutely loaded with crabs, do you have a top 10 list of your favourites in the collection? Would love to see!

Yeah,,, ive got a few.  The sad thing is that I use to be a fossil dealer and sold many that I should have kept.  Makes me sad, but life is a learning experience.    Youve  seen my fossil shelf of my Washington Pulalius crabs even though ive got a few more to add, and I do buy the NZ concretions and prep those out and here is a pic of those, but im afraid ive taken over this thread and that was not my intention.  

RB

DSCN0873.JPG

24 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

@RJB Seeing that you're absolutely loaded with crabs...

I don't know whether to be itchy or hungry! :D  I guess I'll settle for :envy:

Don

19 hours ago, RJB said:

but im afraid ive taken over this thread and that was not my intention.  

Perhaps you have, but it's actually not a bad thing! Rather stare at these gorgeous crabs you prepped than at a simple non-ammonite rock :P 

Max Derème

17 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Perhaps you have, but it's actually not a bad thing! Rather stare at these gorgeous crabs you prepped than at a simple non-ammonite rock

Thank you Max

RB

Archived