Possible Maryland Arundel formation find

Calvert Cliff Dweller

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help on the Sturgeon ID last night folks. I have one more for you tonite, I acquired a supposed Possible early Cretaceous item from Prince George’s County Maryland. Anyway I could definitely use some help on this peculiar looking fossil. Thanks in advance folks I know somebody on the forum can nail this Alien looking creature down.

The Cliff Dweller 

image.jpg

image.jpg

That looks like a nice chunk of jaw from the pycnodont fish Anomoeodus (or possibly some close relative).  Anomoeodus single teeth turn up pretty regularly in New Jersey and Maryland Cretaceous marine deposits, but it's a lot less common to find a bunch still in the jaw like this.

I'd say pycnodont as well.

Nice find. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Wow, that’s a great acquisition:envy: Cretaceous stuff from Maryland is super rare, mostly because it’s hard to gain access to productive Cretaceous sites in Maryland. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

25 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Wow, that’s a great acquisition:envy: Cretaceous stuff from Maryland is super rare, mostly because it’s hard to gain access to productive Cretaceous sites in Maryland. 

Maryland used to be a magnificent source of great Cretaceous marine fossils; ammonites, gastropods, bivalves, and vertebrates. Sadly, almost all of the sites were destroyed by development. Here is a sample from the Monmouth Amateur Paleontological Society collection:

image1 (298).JPG

I know access is very hard  to find up there. I appreciate the help guys IDing this Cretaceous fish material. I spend most my time playing in the young Miocene down here in Calvert. Here are a few examples of Calvert formation fishes. Sturgeon dermal scutes  and I let one of you knowledgeable fisherman tell me the right punctuation for the Stoney growths shown in the photo.

Cliff Dweller 

image.jpg

image.jpg

6 minutes ago, Calvert Cliff Dweller said:

I know access is very hard  to find up there. I appreciate the help guys IDing this Cretaceous fish material. I spend most my time playing in the young Miocene down here in Calvert. Here are a few examples of Calvert formation fishes. Sturgeon dermal scutes  and I let one of you knowledgeable fisherman tell me the right punctuation for the Stoney growths shown in the photo.

Cliff Dweller 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Those are fish tilly bones in the bottom image.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

The Anomoeodus mouth plate is probably Upper Cretaceous. I believe all of the marine Cretaceous formations in Maryland are Upper Cretaceous. It is a spectacular piece! Congratulations. Your other Miocene fish material is pretty cool as well. Thanks for sharing it.

Gotcha my brain capacity is not what it once was . It nice to have you all to give me a refreshing course. I have been on the beach to long. L o L Here is a easy one.

image.jpg

14 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Maryland used to be a magnificent source of great Cretaceous marine fossils; ammonites, gastropods, bivalves, and vertebrates. Sadly, almost all of the sites were destroyed by development. Here is a sample from the Monmouth Amateur Paleontological Society collection:

Yeah, I know. Sometimes I’ll look at the old journals that speak of and show plates of finds like these from Maryland and just marvel at how great they are and at how quickly the sites were erased from the face of the earth. Google earth reveals parking lots and malls were once were ammonites and mosasaur teeth. Saddens me that I missed those days, and motivates me to collect where I can while I can.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks for the IDing Guys. I tell you all what I will keep posting and you all keep IDing. I know some of you guys have seen some of this material.

image.jpg

8 minutes ago, Calvert Cliff Dweller said:

Gotcha my brain capacity is not what it once was . It nice to have you all to give me a refreshing course. I have been on the beach to long. L o L Here is a easy one.

image.jpg

Those are some fish hypural bones. By the way, the Anomoeodus plate is very nice.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Thank you guys since we are still on fish I mite as well take a couple of more species oh I mean Photos till I can stump you all. Here’s one.

image.jpg

image.jpg

14 minutes ago, Calvert Cliff Dweller said:

Thanks for the IDing Guys. I tell you all what I will keep posting and you all keep IDing. I know some of you guys have seen some of this material.

image.jpg

Most of those look like some type of fish jaw sections.

I believe the smaller jaws are maybe Drum fish and the two larger jaws are wahoo.

6 minutes ago, josephstrizhak said:

some type of fish jaw

Wahoos or close relatives methinks

Edit: you beat me to it!

Happy hunting,

Mason

That’s a TON of shark verts. The big one with the quarter on it, does it have striations on the side?

Happy hunting,

Mason

But seriously guys this one has me stumped and I know I have seen it somewhere.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oh yeah that was my first Meg Vert.I found it in the 70s. I have found 4 megs that I know for sure in the last 45 years. 

It did not really resemble some of my other ray material. But now that you mention it I can see that.

6 minutes ago, Calvert Cliff Dweller said:

image.jpg

Those look like dermal denticles.

Archived