Paydirt (or Rocks)!

1nickeless1

attachment=33785:Photo039.jpg]Finally found something to brag about! I brought home a 50 lb. boulder with a 7" Archimedes screw and found 4 other screws that have to be cut out, each about a foot long in a much, much larger slab! Couldn't see fronds, but they are pretty crusted with river schmeg. I have to go back to get decent pics, phone did not take well. I did find an odd dino footprint. Any ideas on this one? Found in river bedrock and not hooved or 3 toed. Pretty sure not a pseudo print.

I posted previously about a site. I furnished a lousy page and urge you to check it out. It really is pretty cool. After you look at the fossil locations, look at the other catagories!

http://www.waymarking.com/wm/search.aspx?f=1&kw=fossils

post-2020-1250566634_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

Not dino if associated with fenestrate bryozoans. They perished in the "Great Die Off" at the end of the Permian. Probably, not trace fossil, it could be a fossil that has been scoured by sediment in the bed load. Whatever it is, it has been scoured, and not a trackway.

Nickless -

with all the achimides, I'm assuming you were hunting on the Meramec near Hwy 44? If so, that's the Mississippian Warsaw fm. You won't find any tracks there. You'll find great archimedes, a few complete crinoid heads, fish teeth and trilobite parts. If you are REALLY lucky, you might find a starfish or echinoid there.

Not dino if associated with fenestrate bryozoans. They perished in the "Great Die Off" at the end of the Permian. Probably, not trace fossil, it could be a fossil that has been scoured by sediment in the bed load. Whatever it is, it has been scoured, and not a trackway.

I appreciate your feedback and yet have much to learn. The near perfect symmetry and pad placement had me fooled, down to the mud between the toes. You effectively killed my buzz. :)

Nick

Nickless -

with all the achimides, I'm assuming you were hunting on the Meramec near Hwy 44? If so, that's the Mississippian Warsaw fm. You won't find any tracks there. You'll find great archimedes, a few complete crinoid heads, fish teeth and trilobite parts. If you are REALLY lucky, you might find a starfish or echinoid there.

Hey, Xi!

There aren't any secret spots in STL are there? Best and most productive spot I've been to so far. Did find a bucket of fun to clean later. As for the footprint I guess I found an extra-terrestrial uniped. Cool!

Nick

I appreciate your feedback and yet have much to learn. The near perfect symmetry and pad placement had me fooled, down to the mud between the toes. You effectively killed my buzz. :)

Nick

I'm stuck in the Mississippian down here in NW Arkansas myself, 1-n-1 (I like to create nicknames for nicknames, one of my many annoying social inadequacies). But the good news is that we are lucky to have easy access to richly fossiliferous rocks. My personal favorite find is trilobites, although perhaps I should be more aware of conularias. I've found a dozen trilos this year, but only a lone conny! Giving species nicknames, another embarrassing personality tic :rolleyes:

Nickless -

Been there a few times myself, we usually take a pump to wash the slabs when the water is low. Be warned, if and when you prep, that is the most ungodliest hard limestone, couldn't figure out why until I looked at them under magnification- they are covered with silica spicules.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

I'm stuck in the Mississippian down here in NW Arkansas myself, 1-n-1 (I like to create nicknames for nicknames, one of my many annoying social inadequacies). But the good news is that we are lucky to have easy access to richly fossiliferous rocks. My personal favorite find is trilobites, although perhaps I should be more aware of conularias. I've found a dozen trilos this year, but only a lone conny! Giving species nicknames, another embarrassing personality tic :rolleyes:

Seems your personality parallels mine! Humor is good and I have a hard time leaving words (or people, heh) alone that should or need to be altered, corrupted, or messed with in one form or another.

I am on a quest to pry from the ground at least one elusive trilobite so I can declare my manhood, the starter of fires, so my daughter can look into my eyes and not see the the desperate failure I have become.

My Mom lives in your neck of the woods, south of Eureka Springs about four or five crows caws. Maybe we can hunt a day when I get down there next?

How's this one fer ya:

Nilessauen (my email)

Ni(nickel)less Au(gold)en

Nicholas Golden

Been there a few times myself, we usually take a pump to wash the slabs when the water is low. Be warned, if and when you prep, that is the most ungodliest hard limestone, couldn't figure out why until I looked at them under magnification- they are covered with silica spicules.

Brent Ashcraft

I must be enjoying the fruits of you labor. Thank you for de-silting the area for me! Someone started to cut out one of the A. screws and made a 1/4" deep rectangle around the thing and gave up. Tough stuff!

Prepwork is going to be an arduous task with this stuff as hard as it is. I'm thinking air chisel with Inconel bits and a downdraft table. Lemme know next time you go!

Nick

Seems your personality parallels mine! Humor is good and I have a hard time leaving words (or people, heh) alone that should or need to be altered, corrupted, or messed with in one form or another.

I am on a quest to pry from the ground at least one elusive trilobite so I can declare my manhood, the starter of fires, so my daughter can look into my eyes and not see the the desperate failure I have become.

My Mom lives in your neck of the woods, south of Eureka Springs about four or five crows caws. Maybe we can hunt a day when I get down there next?

How's this one fer ya:

Nilessauen (my email)

Ni(nickel)less Au(gold)en

Nicholas Golden

Sure, email is enderland(at)gmail.com.

You might also consider joining my Fossil Exchange site. I've set up two swaps already, one for cretaceous goodies, the other for a nice trilo and perhaps some shark teeth :)