Rocky Stoner

Hello folks !

Tis the season to go digging. fa la la la .................

I haven't posted for a spell, but have checked in on occasion.

There is a small area of my yard where grass won't grow, just weeds with bare ground in between.

This item was lying on the surface. I've ridden the mower over it for 26 years now and finally looked down at the right moment.

Looks like it might be the thorax of a trilobite, but am not sure.

Is it recognizable to any of you ?

Thanks.

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

Yeah that’s a thorax, Dipluera dekayi methinks. Nice find and Good to here from you!

edit: forgot to say you got some pygidium there as well.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Yeah that’s a thorax, Dipluera dekayi methinks. Nice find and Good to here from you!

edit: forgot to say you got some pygidium there as well.

+1

12 minutes ago, Rocky Stoner said:

Hello folks !

Tis the season to go digging. fa la la la .................

I haven't posted for a spell, but have checked in on occasion.

There is a small area of my yard where grass won't grow, just weeds with bare ground in between.

This item was lying on the surface. I've ridden the mower over it for 26 years now and finally looked down at the right moment.

Looks like it might be the thorax of a trilobite, but am not sure.

Is it recognizable to any of you ?

Thanks.

Wondered where you've been.  Looking forward to seeing more of your back yard finds :envy:

+4 or so. 

Not a bad find while just mowing the lawn. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks for the welcome back and for the ID.

Took a walk through the garden this AM after recent rain and found these washed off.

(included the earlier thorax for size reference)

The cephalon also appears to be Dipleura and from a larger specimen.

The other is a much more modern item that I keep an eye out for and was the primary reason for my original digging / turning of the soil here.

I have a new "patch" to turn up as soon as it dries up a bit.

Plow is on the tractor, wife was overruled, new planting (harvesting;)) area is going in !

Thanks again, kindest regards,

:)

IMG_0506.thumb.JPG.9d48fca8fd2893635e2d607c11bec77a.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

Nice finds! Gotta love those Dipleura! Welcome back!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

11 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Nice finds! Gotta love those Dipleura! Welcome back!

Thanks Darktooth, hope to find more ... and larger Dipleura this season!

9 hours ago, Jazfossilator said:

Sweet finds, that’s a nice point :)

Since I've started counting Trilo"bits" ... (never found a complete one) I have found over 200 bits and about 30 of the points on this little patch.

Sometimes I don't get much done for fear of overlooking a cool rock or breaking them up.

Bugs the heck out of me sometimes.

But ..... its just dirt and rocks.

Than ks again

I don't want to be the reason that you decide to destroy your yard, but if  you are finding trilo parts like that, there is a good chance that with a bit of searching you might find a whole one. I find Dipleuras here in New York. This intrigues me that you find this in your yard. Would you mind taking some pics of your yard and surrounding area?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

22 minutes ago, Rocky Stoner said:

Since I've started counting Trilo"bits" ... (never found a complete one) I have found over 200 bits and about 30 of the points on this little patch.

Sometimes I don't get much done for fear of overlooking a cool rock or breaking them up.

Than ks again

It is more then dirt and rocks! It is nature, history, and science!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

29 minutes ago, Rocky Stoner said:

Than ks again

Sounds like you’re in the right place! I look forward to seeing more of your finds.:)

22 hours ago, Darktooth said:

I don't want to be the reason that you decide to destroy your yard, but if  you are finding trilo parts like that, there is a good chance that with a bit of searching you might find a whole one. I find Dipleuras here in New York. This intrigues me that you find this in your yard. Would you mind taking some pics of your yard and surrounding area?

Too late ... its on the permit. I already blamed it on you. (just kidding:) )

I'm in the process of designing a different type of plow for my tractor, more of a deep running sub-soiler type that just heaves up the plates letting them fracture where they would naturally without disturbing them as much as the turning plow does. I may need to enlist the help of a neighbor with a larger tractor. I plan to take pics of the process as I go along.

This new spot looks quite promising, its about 30yds from the berrypatch where I found most of the other stuff I've posted.

That patch has been exposed for a year now and although there is still many fossils there, the shale has disintegrated and is super fragile now .... (unless I dig deeper) shhhhh, don't tell the wifey.

Planning to be back soon, when it quits raining and dries up a bit. Will start a new topic then ... with pics.

Kindest regards,

2 hours ago, Rocky Stoner said:

Too late ... its on the permit. I already blamed it on you. (just kidding:) )

I'm in the process of designing a different type of plow for my tractor, more of a deep running sub-soiler type that just heaves up the plates letting them fracture where they would naturally without disturbing them as much as the turning plow does. I may need to enlist the help of a neighbor with a larger tractor. I plan to take pics of the process as I go along.

This new spot looks quite promising, its about 30yds from the berrypatch where I found most of the other stuff I've posted.

That patch has been exposed for a year now and although there is still many fossils there, the shale has disintegrated and is super fragile now .... (unless I dig deeper) shhhhh, don't tell the wifey.

Planning to be back soon, when it quits raining and dries up a bit. Will start a new topic then ... with pics.

Kindest regards,

What you need is a subsoiler and/or a middle buster plow! :)

:popcorn::popcorn:

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 9:32 PM, Darktooth said:

Hi Darktooth. And All.

Here are a few pics of last years berry patch. I thought I'd till it under and seed it this year, but maybe I'll wait as there are still quite a few sizeable chunks of goodies turning up. First, a general view of the plowed area, then a few closeups of the matrix "as exposed".

You can faintly see the prints through the unwashed matrix. I plopped my watch down for size reference beside some ... including a nice rugose coral (?).

Still working on the chisel plow and will probably try it out in this patch. Hopefully it will run 6 to 10 inches deeper and turn up some more of the larger chunks.

More to come soon, but will be in a new topic.

Thanks friends,

IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0554.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

See, this is why you need to invite all of your friends here at the fossil forum over to your place. We will remove all of those pesky rocks off your property in no time! Let us help you out. Then you can get back to planting and making the Missus happy.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

2 hours ago, Darktooth said:

......... Then you can get back to planting and making the Missus happy.

Funny thing ...... I might have a new fan !The Wifey took a walk with me last evening around the upper orthacone patch (200 yds up the ridge from the berry patch). Once I showed her what to look for, she picked these up ... except for 1, which I found.

Might get her hooked, then maybe we can split on a bigger tractor.^_^

IMG_0556.thumb.JPG.7722b613503664e941c341ffd42fb521.JPG

30 points and all those fossils from this one little patch? Pretty rich spot!

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

30 points and all those fossils from this one little patch? Pretty rich spot!

This is primarily the fossil area.

I do have 2 other small gardens on the same acre or 2. Its taken about 26 years to find all of the points over the entire area. I hadn't found any points for some time so I plowed and tilled this little spot last year in hopes of finding a few more. I found 4 or 5. That is when I discovered the fossils and decided to switch focus and join this fantastic group to learn more about them.

I'd also been picking up the orthacones over the years, not thinking too much about them, mainly in the other 2 gardens and around the yard. Lotta history in the dirt .... amazes me. I get a crook in my neck from rarely looking up.

Thanks kindly,

I think you have a relatively rich area, compared to other places. I've found a total of one point in my life, down at the local beach. I did find a couple fossils on our old property, which surprised me, but nothing like what you've got!  Not many people I know of who can dig fossils (and points) in their own yard. Maybe this is not all that uncommon, but I can't think of anyone else on TFF who does...

Archived