Unknown marine organism from Anshun

Crazyhen

May we have better images? To me it looks a bit like a turtle carapace, but I'm no expert on Chinese fossils.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Looks like a phyllocarid carapace, to me. 

Not seeing anything remotely turtie-ish at all. :unsure:

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

11 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Looks like a phyllocarid carapace, to me. 

Not seeing anything remotely turtie-ish at all. :unsure:

Well I guess the shape? Actually yeah it lacks the texture of a turtle shell, my bad.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

There is also an ammonite imprint just to the upper right, which gives an indication of age.

Mrs. Spongy has a good suggestion: a piece of a large broken ammonite, looking at a septum. I reckon it makes sense, but then I have to say that. ;)

4 hours ago, caldigger said:

There is also an ammonite imprint just to the upper right, which gives an indication of age.

Age should be Triassic Carnian stage. The ribbed ammonoid above looks like a Trachyceras species. The unknown part/fossil could be as said above a shell part of a big ammonoid. Joannites sp. or Carnites  are possible smooth shelled ammonoids of that timespan.

Archived