Penn Dixie Report

caldigger

Alrighty, looking at the calender I see the "Penn Dixie digging with the experts" trip is in full swing. We will demand pictures and at least a brief dialog report from members that attend. :popcorn:

And the Aurora fest is not far behind so same goes for that as well.

Doren, I think we should also demand that the best finds be shipped to us for inspection! You know, strictly for educational purposes. ;)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I wholeheartedly agree with all of the above. 

NB., all the finds should be shipped to the above members via Fes, Morocco.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Lol. The best finds were all from yesterday morning. The material produced beautiful examples of the typical Eldredgeops and also Greenops and Bellacartwrightia with some fantastic complete prone examples of each. Many domes were popped out to reveal some stunning multi plates with some Eldredgeops well over the 2.5" mark. I will try and upload the few photos I had time to take on my phone, but the most likely place to find photos is going to be on the PD pages in the coming days as visitors share their own photos.

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

So sad that I could not make it down for the event. Looking forward to seeing some pics...

I think that @Monica mentioned that she was going there with Viola, so I'm sure we'll be hearing something soon...that is if my memory is serving me well :P

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I was able to get to the dig today and at least stand in the mud and watch. Spent time with @Monica (thank you again) and her daughter  I even got cookies!!!

Wandered around with @DevonianDigger checking things out watching him pick up prones and rollers out what people discarded :hammer01: He even threw me a few small multi-piece chunks so I can keep my skills up while my back heals. There will be a lot to pick through once the piles weather out. It was nice to be out in the field.

Hello there!

Yes, Viola and I were indeed at the dig yesterday, and we met Jay and Mike (you're very welcome for the rocks and the cookies - I hope you had a wonderful birthday!!!).  Since I didn't want to aggravate my "fossil elbow" (at the end of last summer I tried hammering every rock that I saw at my local site, and some of it obviously isn't meant to be hammered because I came away with a sore elbow - I really need to get some physio for it - hopefully I'll get around to that this summer...) I let Viola use the tools for most of the time we were at Penn Dixie - she had a blast!!!  We found lots of stuff - nothing terribly new/exciting for many, but still new/exciting for us!  I'll post pictures as soon as I can take some (I'm waiting for bright sunshine to stream through our windows...)

Monica

10 hours ago, ischua said:

I was able to get to the dig today and at least stand in the mud and watch. Spent time with @Monica (thank you again) and her daughter  I even got cookies!!!

Wandered around with @DevonianDigger checking things out watching him pick up prones and rollers out what people discarded :hammer01: He even threw me a few small multi-piece chunks so I can keep my skills up while my back heals. There will be a lot to pick through once the piles weather out. It was nice to be out in the field.

Jay is definitely salt of the earth. :) Really glad to hear that you got out in the field; once you're fully healed up from the surgery, you'll be swinging those hammers again!

1 hour ago, Monica said:

Hello there!

Yes, Viola and I were indeed at the dig yesterday, and we met Jay and Mike (you're very welcome for the rocks and the cookies - I hope you had a wonderful birthday!!!).  Since I didn't want to aggravate my "fossil elbow" (at the end of last summer I tried hammering every rock that I saw at my local site, and some of it obviously isn't meant to be hammered because I came away with a sore elbow - I really need to get some physio for it - hopefully I'll get around to that this summer...) I let Viola use the tools for most of the time we were at Penn Dixie - she had a blast!!!  We found lots of stuff - nothing terribly new/exciting for many, but still new/exciting for us!  I'll post pictures as soon as I can take some (I'm waiting for bright sunshine to stream through our windows...)

Monica

Happy you and Viola made out with some firsts (with pictures forthcoming!). :) The elbow sounds like tendinitis. Ask your physio person for a resistance band (or get one on your own while you wait at any fitness supply store). There are a number of quick eccentric and concentric exercises you can do on a daily basis to get the elbow back into gear. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Okay - here are pictures of some of my finds (Viola still has to finish washing hers so you'll have to wait for those pictures :)):

Viola working the chisel and mini sledge hammer:

DSCN2898.thumb.JPG.27e6fe0615fdae416a37254c77cc3936.JPG

Viola holding up one of her finds (I don't remember which, and I can't really tell from zooming in on the photo, but likely a trilo-bit):

DSCN2899.thumb.JPG.fb6292653e3d45c7295e9e70565f6a49.JPG

Specimen #1a: a fancy trilobite pygidium - is it Greenops or Bellacartwrightia?

DSCN2900.thumb.JPG.2cb2661f9574d738582af786b8bff662.JPG

Specimen #1b (the same fancy pygidium as above, but from a different angle) - any idea as to its identity?

DSCN2902.thumb.JPG.8cab6d25308d8a7c51ceb975db8a07c2.JPG

Specimen #2: a big body of an Eldredgeops rana - too bad the head is missing :(

DSCN2903.thumb.JPG.0a60ab257aca1a2afb81d331201bd3d3.JPG

Specimen #3: another E. rana, but perhaps its cephalon is hiding underneath the matrix? (she says hopefully...:P)

DSCN2911.thumb.JPG.425af5f80eb97c4de476c197e42fb93e.JPG

Specimen #4: a big E. rana cephalon - maybe more of it can be found underneath the matrix? (again, :fingerscrossed:)

DSCN2913.thumb.JPG.1ae23e06ced15289fe5495889597439c.JPG

More to come...

Specimen #5: another fancy trilobite pygidium found on the same rock as the bivalve shown as specimen #6 - is there enough showing to identify it?

DSCN2919.thumb.JPG.f394062113738dc7459326b26caeff75.JPG

Specimen #6: a cute little bivalve - perhaps a Palaeoneilo sp. positive?

DSCN2905.JPG.1d7afa6393b6c69e8f0f4368bf9bcf7d.JPG

Specimen #7: a bigger bivalve - perhaps a Palaeoneilo sp. negative?

DSCN2904.thumb.JPG.47df08771df8ba2c3dad538b9435e798.JPG

Specimen #8: an adorable little Spyroceras sp. orthoconic nautiloid

DSCN2907.thumb.JPG.60e51b4c73396a68ade5422bdc278c7f.JPG

More to come...

Specimen #9: I think this might be a gastropod - Naticonema lineata perhaps?

DSCN2920.thumb.JPG.bfd51f417f1d94e0c7f45ef2c0783f54.JPG

Specimen #10a: view of the pedicle valve of a plump Athyris spiriferoides brachiopod (I think)

DSCN2914.thumb.JPG.043a67e4285a8797404f1923b3870d20.JPG

Specimen #10b: view of the brachial valve of the Athyris spiriferoides brachiopod pictured above

DSCN2915.thumb.JPG.ac4e5269a7ecf5eea9ee94d99b7377c1.JPG

These are the first bivalves I've found at Penn Dixie, and the first gastropod, too (if that's what it is) - hooray!!!

Love seeing Viola all kitted out, using the hammer and chisel and grinning away, marvelous! :)

Some pretty nice finds too! 

Hope some of those trilobites turn out to be complete. :)

Congrats on the bivalves and gastropod and the Athyris is beautiful! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

8 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

@Monica some great finds and looks like you two had a fun day.

We absolutely had a great day out, Ralph!!!  The weather was perfect - a mix of sun and cloud, and a comfortable temperature - so we were able to be out among the rocks from when we arrived around 11:30 am until we left at 4:30 pm.

5 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Love seeing Viola all kitted out, using the hammer and chisel and grinning away, marvelous! :)

Some pretty nice finds too! 

Hope some of those trilobites turn out to be complete. :)

Congrats on the bivalves and gastropod and the Athyris is beautiful! 

Thanks, Adam!  I'm especially happy with the bivalves - they're beautiful!!! :wub:  And I had a sneaky suspicion that you'd like the Athyris :P - I actually found it underneath the rubble in the trilobite pit (since I didn't do too much hammering I spent quite a bit of time simply scavenging through the rocks) so it was a bit of a surprise to me (but a very happy one!)

Finding the Athyris in the pit is an odd one. Those are typically found in the Wanakah shale below the Tichenor LS. I wonder if it was a goodie that someone dropped from back by the ravine or in the drainage creek.

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

I was just looking up the Penn Dixie web page, and I spotted these prominently featured characters.

Don

penn dixie.jpg

The pictures bring back great memories of my trip to Penn Dixie and Jay, the resident expert!

Archived