Penn Dixie Report

caldigger

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

I was just looking up the Penn Dixie web page, and I spotted these prominently featured characters.

Don

penn dixie.jpg

An incognito celebrity, no doubt!  mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo59.gif&t=1526937032&ymreqid=2b37d289-e028-403a-1c39-18001a01e100&sig=5glgj1Rp6p3ONLYgEvClEg--~C:ninja: :P

IMG.png.5782a41f1b0199675b7e4af8b3c9db8d.png

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

@Monica I am glad you and Viola had a great time and found some great stuff!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

6 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

Finding the Athyris in the pit is an odd one. Those are typically found in the Wanakah shale below the Tichenor LS. I wonder if it was a goodie that someone dropped from back by the ravine or in the drainage creek.

It was definitely an unexpected find, but a happy one! :)

Do you by any chance think that my "specimen #9" is a gastropod?  (Please say yes...!!!)

Just now, Monica said:

It was definitely an unexpected find, but a happy one! :)

Do you by any chance think that my "specimen #9" is a gastropod?  (Please say yes...!!!)

Looks more like a goniatite to me. 

Tornoceras, perhaps?

Is that possible in those Penn Dixie beds? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

@Monica Nice to see Viola in her element!

She had a great time!  Last year, she was hammering rocks just for the sake of hammering, but this year she was trying to split rocks and reduce the sizes of fossil-containing rocks with her hammering, so she was hammering with a purpose - how quickly they grow up (sniff...)

3 hours ago, ynot said:

Nice finds @Monica, and Viola looks like a very happy camper!

She was very happy!  She is very proud to have found her own E. rana roller(s) as well as a couple of Spinatrypa spinosa brachiopods (she's still a BIG fan of "shells" :P)

50 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Awesome post Monica. Wish I could have been there....

It was a great day out - can't wait until next year!!!

33 minutes ago, nala said:

Great pictures and beautifull finds! :)

Thanks so much, Gery!  Those comments mean a lot coming from you since the pictures you take and the fossils you find are stunning!!!

11 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

@Monica I am glad you and Viola had a great time and found some great stuff!

Thanks, Dave!  We had a wonderful girls' day out, and being able to find fossils at the same time is simply the icing on the cake :)

5 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Looks more like a goniatite to me. 

Tornoceras, perhaps?

Is that possible in those Penn Dixie beds? 

Tornoceras from Penn Dixie would be a new find for me, too, so either way I'll be happy!!!

@Monica, I think #9 is likely a gastropod of some type, can't tell much from that photo, but my reservation against Tornoceras is that I have never seen one with that type of replacement in the trilobite beds. I believe they we're aragonite and were replaced with different materials during diagenesis. The Tornoceras that I've seen/found in that layer are very difficult to spot because they have very poorly-defined morphological features and match the surrounding matrix in color. However, I'm speaking from my own experience and am not able to rule it out entirely. A closer photo might help put it rest. 

• I found this Informative 2

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Looking at it more closely and taking the size into consideration, I'm wondering if it isn't the apex of a Platyceras. Perhaps either the rest is missing or the angle in the matrix is deceptive. Just a thought.

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA