Unknown: marine Oligocene object

flyg

I've been going through some unknowns from various past hunts and here is one mystery. This piece looks like it should be familiar and I feel like I've seen it somewhere. This object is about 5.5 cm on longest dimension. It is hard/mineral--not modern bone. It was found in stream gravels at a site that is nearly pure marine Oligocene. Some Pleistocene material is theoretically possible, but I've never found it here. The site is richly fossiliferous with a variety of vertebrate/invertebrate material. Common vertebrates include: sharks/rays/sawfish, bony fish, turtles, crocodilians, toothed/baleen whales, manatee/dugong.

My best guess is that it is a ceremonial helmet, once worn by ancient tiny gnomes during demonic rituals. On the off chance I'm wrong about this, who has another idea? It could be a modern human artifact for all I know, but it looks bony and has a foramen-looking hole that brings to mind words like "neural", "vertebral", or "cranial".

Thanks for looking.

G

P5200001ed.jpg

P5200005ed.jpg

P5200018ed.jpg

P5200022ed.jpg

P5200023ed.jpg

P5200024ed.jpg

P5200026ed.jpg

P5200027ed.jpg

4 minutes ago, flyg said:

My best guess is that it is a ceremonial helmet

Ha! That's what I thought it was at first glance...my guess is manmade, but I have no idea what it would be used for.

Very interesting............Hhhmmm?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

First thing I thought of was a football (American football) kicking tee :D

The gnome helmet idea is probably correct.

Always go with your first impressions. 

Actually, that's a terrible idea. :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

33 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

First thing I thought of was a football (American football) kicking tee :D

Great observation! It makes sense, because what else would it possibly be? 

Good ideas. It is reminiscent of a football tee, but it is too small and of the wrong material I think. But that is probably along the right lines since none of you instantly recognized it as a fossil. It is pretty singular. I did a burn test and it does not burn, nor produce any odor. If it isn't bone, it is certainly something like ceramic. It is very hard and clinks like glass. I don't see any mold lines, but it is quite worn by water. Old insulator? clay pipe piece? ornamental bathroom ceramic?  Thanks for the ideas.

G

Hipockets is right, it is a chamber from Aturia, a nautiloid. This is a very nice example.

• I found this Informative 9

Oooh. I like that idea a lot. I've never found any kind of nautiloid, but the main exposure here is packed with bivalve and gastropod molds, so the preservation setting is right. Very interesting. Thanks.

G

P5200005ed.jpg.965921fa2aa96b4f1744ce0d81ecf405.jpg.a690b0fbac8b669c126ff587797375cb.jpgMiller.jpg.e0fe353f717eb39648c99eba3a66f5b3.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Very nice. I'm excited about an entire new class of animal for me at this site. My first cephalopod find.

G

A fossil so strange most think it isn’t one, nice find!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason