holdinghistory

A few months ago I bought something like 12 flats of leaves that were found years ago, Parachute Creek member of the Green River Formation, near Bonanza, Utah. I just started working through identifying them, which is going to be a bit of a process to say the least. First question: is there a PDF of MacGinitie? I have a list of the Parachute Creek species from his work, but I could use more specific descriptions of the species (if there are any plates that would help a lot too).

In the mean time, here are a few of the more interesting ones from the group I was hoping to get some help with while I get working on the others (more duplication there, so once I figure out the ID's my pile should decrease quickly). 

First up, I think this is the tip of a Equisetum winchesteri, hoping for verification there.IMG_1646.thumb.JPG.20023726a820ec6f27e147806d127baa.JPG

Next, an interesting branch with a bud? Any ideas on species?IMG_1647.thumb.JPG.8d4d55f28e0e73b8a8ae51d9f79efa6d.JPG

This is another Equisetum winchesteri, any ideas on the branch and leaves that are also on the plate?

IMG_1648.thumb.JPG.dafa729ae63f1ded2471bc6029bead10.JPG

This seems to be a sort of clinging vine, there are some nice tendrils attached. Any idea on species, and if the leaves belong to the vine? The leaves appear to be the same species and the stems are both pointed towards the vine, which would lead me to believe the go together.IMG_1649.thumb.JPG.4623ec0c1d0d88eee101fc9e1836f794.JPG

IMG_1650.thumb.JPG.a8335499b8be4a8c1b6c849d5d5aecbf.JPG

Last up, one more group of leaves.

IMG_1651.thumb.JPG.d675962a8e018da7c31b7e90e3bfbed6.JPG

Any help would be great, thank you!

Nathan

39 minutes ago, holdinghistory said:

This seems to be a sort of clinging vine, there are some nice tendrils attached. Any idea on species, and if the leaves belong to the vine? The leaves appear to be the same species and the stems are both pointed towards the vine, which would lead me to believe the go together.

IMG_1650.thumb.JPG.a8335499b8be4a8c1b6c849d5d5aecbf.JPG

Any help would be great, thank you!

Nathan

This one also looks like Equisetum winchesteri

IMG.png.9ad8c77264b9dbd8a4798e04262ce8ee.png

figure from:

Grande, L. 2013

The lost world of Fossil Lake: Snapshots from deep time.

University of Chicago Press, 425 pp.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thank you! There are a lot of similar looking leaves, but I am hoping there is a good variety of species so I can set one of each aside from the lot for my collection and have a pretty good overall species representation to build on.

53 minutes ago, piranha said:

This one also looks like Equisetum winchesteri

IMG.png.9ad8c77264b9dbd8a4798e04262ce8ee.png

figure from:

Grande, L. 2013

The lost world of Fossil Lake: Snapshots from deep time.

University of Chicago Press, 425 pp.

I can definitely see the similarities. There is a piece toward the edge that looks a lot more like a clinging vine though. I believe there are at least a few vines represented in Parachute Creek flora. At the same time I am not sure that they would be segmented like this one. Might have a multiple species plate then rather than the leaves belonging to it too.

Nice plants!:plant:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I am with everyone else who has enjoyed these images...absolutely beautiful. So amazing to me that something as ephemeral as a leave or bud can be preserved so beautifully. 

22 hours ago, dalmayshun said:

... So amazing to me that something as ephemeral as a leave or bud can be preserved so beautifully. 

Same here, I am amazed at the detail and preservation of such delicate organisms. I am hoping to get a fairly representative collection together of the Parachute Creek flora.

Archived