No Fossil sales on LetGo

Bama Guy

This is not a rant or venting; just a mild exclamation of surprise and bemusement.  

So...I listed a few fossil shark teeth on LetGo and lo and behold, the listing was pulled and I was directed to the site rules where sho 'nuff:  no fossils!  Fossils fall under LetGo's Prohibited agAinst selling Animal products which (besides fossils) includes live animals and fur, skin, etc. of endangered species.  

What's strange to me is that 'only' the fur, skins, etc. of endangered animals are prohibited.  I say that's "strange" because it doesn't seem the site bans other animal products since -besides leather shoes and clothing- goat skins and cow hides are offered; so it doesn't seem to be a case of "The Vegan Mafia" fighting "the rampant exploitation of animals, living and dead, modern and ancient" blah, blah, blah...

And Indian Arrowheads and other antiquities are allowed so it doesn't seem to be a case of one of the misguided souls who mew "Don't nobody be robbing us of our heritage!" 

So why the ban against fossils-?  What did a fossil ever do to LetGo?  LOL

• I found this Informative 2

22 minutes ago, Bama Guy said:

This is not a rant or venting; just a mild exclamation of surprise and bemusement.  

So...I listed a few fossil shark teeth on LetGo and lo and behold, the listing was pulled and I was directed to the site rules where sho 'nuff:  no fossils!  Fossils fall under LetGo's Prohibited agAinst selling Animal products which (besides fossils) includes live animals and fur, skin, etc. of endangered species.  

What's strange to me is that 'only' the fur, skins, etc. of endangered animals are prohibited.  I say that's "strange" because it doesn't seem the site bans other animal products since -besides leather shoes and clothing- goat skins and cow hides are offered; so it doesn't seem to be a case of "The Vegan Mafia" fighting "the rampant exploitation of animals, living and dead, modern and ancient" blah, blah, blah...

And Indian Arrowheads and other antiquities are allowed so it doesn't seem to be a case of one of the misguided souls who mew "Don't nobody be robbing us of our heritage!" 

So why the ban against fossils-?  What did a fossil ever do to LetGo?  LOL

I would guess misguided concerns over laws they don't understand/want to deal with? 

• I found this Informative 2

Some of these site rules are very odd. 

Amazon will send me DVDs, in their cases, but won't send empty DVD cases to Morocco. :headscratch:

• I found this Informative 5

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

They probably have a good reason to not allow fossils. It might be more involved than we think. 

I have often wondered about eBays and Amazons policy pertaining to the selling of modern day sharks teeth. I see many of these bone white modern day sharks teeth and Jaws that are originally from China and various countries in Asia that practice long lining. The assault that as been occurring in the past and present on the sharks of our planet is disgraceful by the practice of FINNING. Many once common species of Sharks that have inhabited our seas for millions of years are now tragically on the verge EXTINCTION. This unnatural slaughter must be stopped before the oceans are stripped of these magnificent animals. Personally I do not own and will not own any modern shark material. I think Amazon and others should reconsider there policy’s that promote the slaughter while there  still time. Thanks to the forum for letting me rant a little on this unfortunate issue.

Regards Cliff Dweller 

• I found this Informative 3

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Amazon will send me DVDs, in their cases, but won't send empty DVD cases to Morocco. :headscratch:

No doubt there's a "good reason" for that which we, the hoi poloi, could never fathom much less appreciate.  

;-)

3 hours ago, Calvert Cliff Dweller said:

I have often wondered about eBays and Amazons policy pertaining to the selling of modern day sharks teeth. I see many of these bone white modern day sharks teeth and Jaws that are originally from China and various countries in Asia that practice long lining. The assault that as been occurring in the past and present on the sharks of our planet is disgraceful by the practice of FINNING. Many once common species of Sharks that have inhabited our seas for millions of years are now tragically on the verge EXTINCTION. This unnatural slaughter must be stopped before the oceans are stripped of these magnificent animals. Personally I do not own and will not own any modern shark material. I think Amazon and others should reconsider there policy’s that promote the slaughter while there  still time. Thanks to the forum for letting me rant a little on this unfortunate issue.

Regards Cliff Dweller 

Yes, such practices are distressing.  

5 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

I would guess misguided concerns over laws they don't understand/want to deal with? 

I think he has got this spot on. 

8 hours ago, Calvert Cliff Dweller said:

Personally I do not own and will not own any modern shark material.

I think I’m there with ya. Whenever I see a shark jaw I always feel a little disgusted. I can see the comparative value of individual teeth obtained by walking on the beach, but killing sharks should not be allowed until their populations replenish.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

18 hours ago, Calvert Cliff Dweller said:

Regards Cliff Dweller 

I agree 100%.    I try to NEVER buy fossils from an eBay seller who also sells modern shark teeth.   There is a scientific need for modern shark jaws availability, but that small speciality niche doesn't need to be filled by ebay.   

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Try OfferUp. I think they have less rules on what you can and cant sell, but I could be wrong.

On May 21, 2018 at 7:41 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

That reminds of the law in Mexico that allowed sliced and polished ammonites to be exported but not unsliced ammonites because that's the difference between a national treasure and a pair of bookends.  I don't know if sliced ammonites are still exported as I haven't seen them at shows in at least the past 10-15 years.

Jess

• I found this Informative 1

On May 22, 2018 at 12:54 AM, Bobby Rico said:

I think he has got this spot on. 

Right, what it probably means is that one or more persons in the decision-making office doesn't really know what a fossil is.  I bet that person's 8-year old kid knows what a fossil is.  My baby niece knew what a dinosaur is when she was three years old.

31 minutes ago, siteseer said:

Right, what it probably means is that one or more persons in the decision-making office doesn't really know what a fossil is.  I bet that person's 8-year old kid knows what a fossil is.  My baby niece knew what a dinosaur is when she was three years old.

The things kids know is impressive.  My oldest son was telling his daycare teacher that he wanted to be a paleontologist when he was 3.  She asked him if he knew what a paleontologist was and did and he told her.  Last year at age 7, he asked what were good colleges to go to for paleontology. :ighappy: