Small Antwerp bivalve

Max-fossils

Hi all,

Found this small bivalve in Antwerp, Belgium. Most likely from the Pliocene. 

That hinge is weird, with that thing sticking out (almost like the Mya shells!). Anyone know what species this is?

Thanks in advance!

Max

IMG_8494.JPG

IMG_8493.JPG

IMG_8492.JPG

IMG_8491.JPG

IMG_8490.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Closeup picture of the hinge

IMG_8501.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

That's a weird one! 

In some respects it resembles some of the Astarte or perhaps more closely Laevastarte specimens I have seen. 

But not quite. 

I wonder if this is missing a bit of the edge of the margin or if it is pathologic? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 5/22/2018 at 8:39 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

That's a weird one! 

In some respects it resembles some of the Astarte or perhaps more closely Laevastarte specimens I have seen. 

But not quite. 

I wonder if this is missing a bit of the edge of the margin or if it is pathologic? 

It is missing a little bit of shell (on the last picture, the top-left is missing a little bit). But it is still rather obvious to see that the shell was more or less symmetrical. 

Contrarily to all the Astartidae shells, of which pretty much all are asymmetrical (and have an umbo always clearly pointing to one side or the other). Near the shell here in question, in Antwerp, there were plentiful of Astartidae shells (which I collected with great pleasure) (including species like Laevastarte ariejansseni, L. ovatacostata, L. basteroti, L. omalii, Digitariopsis obliquata, and others). And I can assure with near 100%-certainty that this shell is very different. 

I gotta say that this shell is really weird in my eyes. 

Perhaps I should send an email to Ronald Pouwer of the Naturalis about it, asking for his opinions?

Max Derème

2 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

It is missing a little bit of shell (on the last picture, the top-left is missing a little bit). But it is still rather obvious to see that the shell was more or less symmetrical. 

Contrarily to all the Astartidae shells, of which pretty much all are asymmetrical (and have an umbo always clearly pointing to one side or the other). Near the shell here in question, in Antwerp, there were plentiful of Astartidae shells (which I collected with great pleasure) (including species like Laevastarte ariejansseni, L. ovatacostata, L. basteroti, L. omalii, Digitariopsis obliquata, and others). And I can assure with near 100%-certainty that this shell is very different. 

I gotta say that this shell is really weird in my eyes. 

Perhaps I should send an email to Ronald Pouwer of the Naturalis about it, asking for his opinions?

Worth a try, certainly wouldn't do any harm. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I've seen Spisula from over here that might be similar...possibly? 

Here's one from Maryland...

5b0962946d0c0_Maxsunknownmaybesomethinglikespisula.thumb.jpg.d4fc63be6127d64b4537c5cf93fb56c6.jpg

From this site: http://itc.gsw.edu/faculty/bcarter/paleo/labs/moll/biv2.htm

And here's a link to Spisula solida from other there....I know yours is pretty worn but is it similar??

https://english.fossiel.net/id_system/fossil_id_search.php?zoek=371-0058

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 3

On 5/26/2018 at 3:15 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Worth a try, certainly wouldn't do any harm. 

Ok :dinothumb:

Max Derème

On 5/26/2018 at 3:43 PM, Plantguy said:

I've seen Spisula from over here that might be similar...possibly? 

Here's one from Maryland...

From this site: http://itc.gsw.edu/faculty/bcarter/paleo/labs/moll/biv2.htm

And here's a link to Spisula solida from other there....I know yours is pretty worn but is it similar??

https://english.fossiel.net/id_system/fossil_id_search.php?zoek=371-0058

Regards, Chris 

Does look kinda similar, but I've never seen any Spisula with such a protruding hinge.

Btw, the Spisula solida in your second link is actually a Mactra plistoneerlandica (or M. stultorum plistoneerlandica)

My shell could be part of the Mactridae, but I wouldn't consider that as definite. In fact I think that the chance is a bit stronger that it's not part of that family. 

Thanks for the help though!

Max Derème

2 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Does look kinda similar, but I've never seen any Spisula with such a protruding hinge.

Btw, the Spisula solida in your second link is actually a Mactra plistoneerlandica (or M. stultorum plistoneerlandica)

My shell could be part of the Mactridae, but I wouldn't consider that as definite. In fact I think that the chance is a bit stronger that it's not part of that family. 

Thanks for the help though!

OK. thanks for the feedback. Let us know if you are able to chase it down...

Regards, Chris