Is this some sort of tooth?

EBirck

I found this on a knoll overlooking a lake. It looks a little like a fossilized tooth to me. Any thoughts?

three.jpg

top.jpg

two.jpg

back.jpg

one.jpg

Welcome to the forum. 

I am not seeing anything diagnostic here to suggest it is a fossil tooth, but instead a sedimentary rock with some differential weathering.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

+1 for "not tooth" as there is no enamel here to indicate anything dentary. Almost has the texture of bone but I'll agree with Kane that it seems to be sedimentary rock.

Also, welcome to the forum. If you have more than a passing interest in fossil, there are many great places in Texas to find them. Go to the Texas section of the forum (found by scrolling down the home page) or do a search here for "texas" and you'll likely find some topic threads of interest to you.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you for your reply.  I often "rock hound" in this area and had never seen anything remotely close to this in composition before.

3 minutes ago, digit said:

+1 for "not tooth" as there is no enamel here to indicate anything dentary. Almost has the texture of bone but I'll agree with Kane that it seems to be sedimentary rock.

Also, welcome to the forum. If you have more than a passing interest in fossil, there are many great places in Texas to find them. Go to the Texas section of the forum (found by scrolling down the home page) or do a search here for "texas" and you'll likely find some topic threads of interest to you.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you. I am new here to Mid North Texas. The area is easy to rock hound because there are large sparsely vegetated areas (like desert) which makes it easy to see what is there before you. Many fewer rock types than I am used to. South and East of here there are some great fossil hunting areas that I have been made aware of. Some many interests...so little time.

Further north in the US we often find out of place rocks which are glacial erratics that have been transported by glaciers from their original location. Often, humans do a pretty good job of moving rocks around from where they originated. Good eye to spot something that seemed out of place--you have the makings for a good fossil hunter. I encourage you to spend some time on the forum and you'll soon discover some topics with some good information on where you can find some authentic fossils, likely not too far from where you live. But be careful, fossil hunting can be an addictive hobby (when it is done right). :)

Cheers.

-Ken

3 minutes ago, EBirck said:

Thank you all for your prompt reply, diplomacy, and encouragement.

That's TFF in a nutshell. Hope you stick around and find some worthwhile knowledge while you are here.

Cheers.

-Ken

I encourage you to come up with a prompt diplomatic reply.  :P

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

May be ripple marks with trace fossils, but that's just a guess.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived