Shark tooth from south kazahstan (eocene, barton layer)

procurator

I found this fossils in South-West Kazahstan. Thit shark teeth was found in eocene layers.

The tooth size is 1-1.5 santimeters. I use coin for scale

I can not determine what species it is? Help!

WzZg_-BjssDDs4DA7NTJWCqziw55LW7oCB7BZw-B4tc.jpg

Though I am not familiar with Eocene age shark teeth we do have a wide variety of knowledge on this forum (welcome to TFF, by the way). Thanks for including a well-lit focused image with a sense of scale in it. An additional photo with a planar view (flat view looking down on the tooth) may be of use in helping someone familiar with shark teeth of this age to offer a possible identification.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!

That's a cool tooth! 

If I remember correctly, @Troodon has a lot of teeth from Kazakhstan, and probably knows some stuff about them too. Maybe he'll be able to shed more light on this.

I do agree though with Ken that more pictures are needed, especially one from above (and one of the other side would be good too).

Happy hunting!

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

6 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!

That's a cool tooth! 

If I remember correctly, @Troodon has a lot of teeth from Kazakhstan, and probably knows some stuff about them too. Maybe he'll be able to shed more light on this.

I do agree though with Ken that more pictures are needed, especially one from above (and one of the other side would be good too).

Happy hunting!

Max

Hello Max!

I was subscribed on your Instagram, but I didn't know, what you are writing on this forum!

Thank you for advice, I try to write @Troodon.

There are other photos in my house, I post they later

27 minutes ago, digit said:

Though I am not familiar with Eocene age shark teeth we do have a wide variety of knowledge on this forum (welcome to TFF, by the way). Thanks for including a well-lit focused image with a sense of scale in it. An additional photo with a planar view (flat view looking down on the tooth) may be of use in helping someone familiar with shark teeth of this age to offer a possible identification.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you for advice. I'll post planar view later

4 minutes ago, procurator said:

Hello Max!

I was subscribed on your Instagram, but I didn't know, what you are writing on this forum!

Thank you for advice, I try to write @Troodon.

There are other photos in my house, I post they later

Yes, your profile pic did seem familiar to me too :D (even though you changed it now)

Your account is really cool, I love seeing your posts of fossils from that region of the world. A nice change from all the American stuff!

Because I tagged Troodon, he got a notification. When he will see it (he will probably click on it) and go to this topic. So all you have to do is wait till he comes online and he will probably come here by himself and tell you his opinion. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Correct need additional views, both sides but looks like it could be an Alopias but need to see those additional photos

• I found this Informative 2

32 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Yes, your profile pic did seem familiar to me too :D (even though you changed it now)

Your account is really cool, I love seeing your posts of fossils from that region of the world. A nice change from all the American stuff!

Because I tagged Troodon, he got a notification. When he will see it (he will probably click on it) and go to this topic. So all you have to do is wait till he comes online and he will probably come here by himself and tell you his opinion. 

Thank you for your compliment! I have a lot photos from my last fossil hunting. May be I post it!

We haven't Dinosaurs and other popular ancient animals in Russia. Only sea creatures - ammonites, trilobites and others.

But We have some terapods near Perm and Kirov city)

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

I look forward to seeing more fossils from your part of the world! 

You can post them under Member's Collections. 

:popcorn:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

I look forward to seeing more fossils from your part of the world! 

You can post them under Member's Collections. 

:popcorn:

Thank you!

I like marroco's fossils too. I'm dreaming traveling to Morrocco. I found morrocco fossils tours, but It's very expensive (( I hope in next year I will do it

My paleo photos you can see in my instagram procurator9. I registered one hour ago and I have not yet uploaded photos

Looking very thresher to me as well, but as @Troodon said, need more views.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, procurator said:

Thank you!

I like marroco's fossils too. I'm dreaming traveling to Morrocco. I found morrocco fossils tours, but It's very expensive (( I hope in next year I will do it

My paleo photos you can see in my instagram procurator9. I registered one hour ago and I have not yet uploaded photos

Morocco's a great place in general and wonderful for fossils. :)

Although getting here and the tour might be expensive it is possible to live very cheaply once you are here. 

I hope you can make it to this wonderful country. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, procurator said:

I have a lot photos from my last fossil hunting. May be I post it!

Please do. It may be the only way most of the members of this forum will ever see the area in which you get to fossil hunt. This forum is very US-centric and we always enjoy seeing areas outside of the US to restore a little balance here. If you can remember to take a camera (or phone) with you and take lots of images of the site and the things you find (especially in situ photos) they can make great illustrations for a nice trip report. I'm already awaiting reading your first report. We've recently been treated to some lovely lycopsids from Donetsk in the Ukraine which were spectacular to see.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/84737-lycopsids-from-donetsk/

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, procurator said:

Thank you for your compliment! I have a lot photos from my last fossil hunting. May be I post it!

We haven't Dinosaurs and other popular ancient animals in Russia. Only sea creatures - ammonites, trilobites and others.

But We have some terapods near Perm and Kirov city)

If you make a trip report with pictures of the location and pictures of your finds, and post that in the Fossil Hunting Trips thread, that would be awesome!!!

Btw, the dinosaur Olorotitan was found in the Amur region of Russia. Also, Siberia is FULL of awesome mammoth (and other Pleistocene megafaunal animal) fossils!

Max Derème

34 minutes ago, digit said:

Please do. It may be the only way most of the members of this forum will ever see the area in which you get to fossil hunt. This forum is very US-centric and we always enjoy seeing areas outside of the US to restore a little balance here. If you can remember to take a camera (or phone) with you and take lots of images of the site and the things you find (especially in situ photos) they can make great illustrations for a nice trip report. I'm already awaiting reading your first report. We've recently been treated to some lovely lycopsids from Donetsk in the Ukraine which were spectacular to see.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/84737-lycopsids-from-donetsk/

Cheers.

-Ken

Personally, I thought the forum was pretty Morocco-centric. ;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

Thank you stunning tooth

Zhelezko & Kozlov described these from that locality as Alopias hermani in 1999.  I do not know if there was a more recent reassignment.

20180522_125432.thumb.jpg.ceb50455de1ce4fbc46fd99f7d405187.jpg20180522_130408.jpg.3721688328e2c4ea98d147a02af9382f.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Beautiful tooth. I agree with @Troodon with it being Alopias hermani. As far as I know that is still valid.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

12 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thank you stunning tooth

Zhelezko & Kozlov described these as Alopias hermani in 1999.  I do not know if there was a more recent reassignment.

Thank you very much for your answer!

They wrote, what they found this teeth on tuzbair. I walked on tuzbair, but I didn't see shark's teeth ((( 

Tuzbair is a beautibul salt lake, this is a very popular place for sunset shots.

IMG_1396-1.JPG

I think, It happens because I found fossils on the floor of this lake, but shark's teeth lay on the top. I see only sea urchins in rocks, but I cannot take them, because they are very fragile. 

IMG_2877-1.JPG

Edited by procurator

Beautiful views, thank you.  I have a number of shark teeth from that region nice to see photos.

37 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Beautiful views, thank you.  I have a number of shark teeth from that region nice to see photos.

Can I show another photo from here?

I think, this is striatolamia, but i'm not sure.

photo_2018-05-23_16-25-14.jpg

3 minutes ago, procurator said:

Looks like Macrorhizodus.

• I found this Informative 2

3 minutes ago, procurator said:

We always like to see more fossils.

For identification it helps to take the pictures from straight on and not at an angle.

Coins do not make a good size reference as outside of Your country few people know how big they are, please use a ruler.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.