Fossil ID Required

Georgie87

These little guys are super common when you break open the shale, along the banks of Lake Ontario, East of Toronto, in Whitby. I have scoured the internet trying to find what this can be, however the only other picture I found was on someones Blog with no identification. Any help would be appreciated, I'm so interested and this fossil hunting/identification may become a new hobby :D Thank you, Georgie

IMG_7218.JPG

This would be the cranidium of Triarthrus sp. 

This is Ordovician in age, and fairly common as moults.

Image from, Ludvigsen, R. (1979) Fossils of Ontario: The Trilobites

tri.jpeg

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

And here is an image of a near complete one from my collection as reference.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. :) We have a surfeit of fossil collectors from Ontario here.

fullsizeoutput_1c7.jpeg

Nice find, a lovely little cranidium! :)

Hello, Gerogie, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

So nice, and thank you for the welcome. I want to go back now and try to find a more complete one :)

1 minute ago, Georgie87 said:

So nice, and thank you for the welcome. I want to go back now and try to find a more complete one now :)

Good luck! They are not easy to find complete. They moulted quite a bit, and complete ones would tend to disarticulate easily. This trilobite, and Pseudogygites latimarginatus occurred in deeper seas with less oxygen. Triarthrus had developed some unique adaptations suited to their environment. If you were ever curious about what they would have looked like with their appendages, I highly recommend looking up Beecher's Trilobite Bed. Here is one of several images that show the preservation:

trilobite.jpg

Nice little bug, my first trilo was the same genus. Welcome from Maryland btw!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Welcome to the Forum. :)

I thought I'd point out the other fossils on your piece. 

They are almost as cool as the Triarthrus cephalon. ;) 

IMG_7218.JPG.bc42204eeec5fba82834c26b1f4b7d7d.JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

I thought I'd point out the other fossils on your piece.

Ordovician scrapple!

Georgie87, I admire your curiosity & pro-action on it, and envy your accessibility to this wonderful shale.

Welcome to the Forum! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Fossildude19

Kane

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for all the feedback! I spent an hour or two there this morning and found some more fossils and you've already identified them for me :D I'm so digging this, I'm planning a couple trips this summer to Hungry Hollow and to Warsaw Caverns to find and see even even more. Last year I developed a passion for finding and identifying wildflowers and plants, and this year it's fossils. The people on this site are amazing!

Archived