DLueth

Any help with identification would be greatly appreciated. I was found in a stream bed in the hell creek formation area in Montana. I it pretty flat on the bottom with shell like material on the top. Its not porous like alot of the other bones I have seen. Any input would be awesome! Thanks!

rsz_img_20180522_195912133.jpg

rsz_img_20180522_195917873.jpg

rsz_img_20180522_195857004.jpg

nautiloid  section?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

There was a heteromorph ammonite section found along the same streambed, if that helps

2 minutes ago, DLueth said:

There was a heteromorph ammonite section found along the same streambed, if that helps

It is in bad shape so it is hard to be sure which of the three it is.

It could be an ammonite, a baculite or a nautiloid.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

17 minutes ago, ynot said:

It is in bad shape so it is hard to be sure which of the three it is.

It could be an ammonite, a baculite or a nautiloid.

I agree.

I am really excited about the piece even if its not in that good of shape. After looking at pictures, it seems to look most like a baculite segment. Thanks for all the help!

I vote for Baculites or heteromorph ammonite too. Definitly no nautiloid because the septa is folding towards the surface(see pic 2). That would lead to an ammonitic suture pattern on the(badly preserved) surface. Orthocone nautiloids never show such a pattern.

I can see the "cat paw" pattern of the end, and the oval / flattened shape of the transverse view suggests Baculite, but I can't see clearly where is the siphuncle. :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived