eannis6

Hello all, I have a planned trip to the Aurora Fossil festival this weekend! I wanted to create a thread to hear about who’s going so I could meet you! Let me know! Thanks.

Wish I could be there--missed last year's too. Hoping to get up to the area later this July/August but will miss the festival activities. If you have a camera/phone, please take some photos of the festival and post some of the better images here so those not in attendance this weekend can get a bit of a feel for what the festival is like.

Cheers.

-Ken

I wanted to go but its a 5 hour drive, and Im still on an instructional permit :P. Ill have my license next year, hoping I can go then.

I should be there Saturday morning.  Unfortunately I have to be in Winston-Salem at 5 so I'll have to leave early.  Still, I'm looking forward to meeting some FF folks.

Don

37 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I should be there Saturday morning.  Unfortunately I have to be in Winston-Salem at 5 so I'll have to leave early.  Still, I'm looking forward to meeting some FF folks.

Don

We should get a TFF member group photo.............

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

30 minutes ago, SailingAlongToo said:

We should get a TFF member group photo.............

That would be very cool!

I'd also like to get one with three Don's (sixgill, Plax, and me).  If I missed any Don type people they would be welcome too.

Don

I wish I could go as my parents live less than 2 hours away, but I’m back in England and spending $1800 on flights will take a significant chunk out of my fossil budget. :ighappy: I hope that all that get to attend have a great time!

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

That would be very cool!

I'd also like to get one with three Don's (sixgill, Plax, and me).  If I missed any Don type people they would be welcome too.

Don

Mrs. SA2, @Daleksec and I just happen to be planning to hang out very close to Don 1 (@sixgill pete) and Don 2 (@Plax) at the Community Building with all the fossil and educational displays (in between runs to the ice cream vendor, funnel cake vendor and the parade.)

I know the @Boneheadz clan is planning to be there. I think last year there were 12 or 13 TFF people there that I know of, but probably a few more who didn't comment or come by to say HI.

Don't know much biology

I'm very much looking forward to meeting y'all.  I know MikeR will also be in the vicinity.

Don

Glad to see that so many TFF members will be able to meet-up in person. Really makes me wish I had time in my schedule to attend this as I really enjoy putting faces to the avatars. Hope the weather is fine and you all have a great time. Post some photos of the group.

Cheers.

-Ken

Looking forward to seeing everyone there. And yes a Don photo would be great. Me and Plax will be at the same table grouping in the community center. To the right of the main entrance, right across from the Smithsonian guys.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

My husband and I will be going for the first time. We are so excited to be part of the festivities. I would like to dig through the Pit and also attend a lecture. Since we are first timers, are there any rules in regards to digging that we need to be aware of before we go?

20 minutes ago, FL_teacher said:

My husband and I will be going for the first time. We are so excited to be part of the festivities. I would like to dig through the Pit and also attend a lecture. Since we are first timers, are there any rules in regards to digging that we need to be aware of before we go?

No more pit digging. Mine brings dump truck loads of material to town for the museum & dump in various locations. You can dig & screen those.

Required

-1/4" screen mesh in bottom

-12" X 12" screen size is preferred 

-Sunscreen

-Hat

-Water (or buy from vendor on Sat.)

-Go to Aurora Fossil Museum & LOOK

-Come by Community Building - lots of TFF people there.

Don't know much biology

26 minutes ago, SailingAlongToo said:

No more pit digging. Mine brings dump truck loads of material to town for the museum & dump in various locations. You can dig & screen those.

Required

-1/4" screen mesh in bottom

-12" X 12" screen size is preferred 

-Sunscreen

-Hat

-Water (or buy from vendor on Sat.)

-Go to Aurora Fossil Museum & LOOK

-Come by Community Building - lots of TFF people there.

Thank you for the information! Any restrictions on shovels? The Aurora Fossil Museum doesn’t have their dump area across from the museum anymore? That’s the “pit” I was referring to. :-) 

8 minutes ago, FL_teacher said:

Thank you for the information! Any restrictions on shovels? The Aurora Fossil Museum doesn’t have their dump area across from the museum anymore? That’s the “pit” I was referring to. :-) 

There are dump locations through town, near the museum. Matrix for the festival is being dumped & barricaded tonight & tomorrow to prevent poaching & "commercial collertors" from screening & pilfering all the good stuff. I'll send u a PM with info.

Mrs.SA2 & I will be around the Community Building on Saturday. I'm the big, 6'4" / 260lb guy on the porch. :wacko:

Don't know much biology

5 minutes ago, SailingAlongToo said:

There are dump locations through town, near the museum. Matrix for the festival is being dumped & barricaded tonight & tomorrow to prevent poaching & "commercial collertors" from screening & pilfering all the good stuff. I'll send u a PM with info.

Mrs.SA2 & I will be around the Community Building on Saturday. I'm the big, 6'4" / 260lb guy on the porch. :wacko:

Awesome! You have been so helpful! Thank you! We will definitely look for you on Saturday. 

On 5/23/2018 at 4:24 PM, SailingAlongToo said:

Mrs. SA2, @Daleksec and I just happen to be planning to hang out very close to Don 1 (@sixgill pete) and Don 2 (@Plax) at the Community Building with all the fossil and educational displays (in between runs to the ice cream vendor, funnel cake vendor and the parade.)

I know the @Boneheadz clan is planning to be there. I think last year there were 12 or 13 TFF people there that I know of, but probably a few more who didn't comment or come by to say HI.

Hey Jack!

I'll be there as well meeting up with sgp and plax.  Are you staying at the Bridgeport?

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Wish I was able to attend. A bit of a drive from here though. Perhaps one of these years. :(

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Archived