Recent New Jersey Cretaceous finds

frankh8147

Hello!

It has been extremely rainy here in New Jersey the past few months month but I have found a few windows to check out the New Jersey Cretaceous streams in Monmouth County. As you would expect, the water levels have been high but at least the water temperature has finally warmed up!

I figured I would share a few of my favorite finds over the past few months. They are, in order - an enchodus jaw section with teeth, a spondylus inside a Pycnodonte, two Mosasaur teeth (I really like the smokey blue colors on the smaller one), an echinoid, ammonite and baculite pieces, and ischyrhiza rostals, Cretaceous turtle shell, a gastropod, mosasaur tooth, bivalve, and enchodus fangs in the last picture.

enchodus.jpg

shell.jpg

new mos.jpg

echbest.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

Wow! Even under adverse conditions, you are killing it! :) 

Nice finds, Frank!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Awesome finds Frank!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks everyone! Here a few more I meant to add - a croc tooth, fish vertebrae, ray?, and crab claw.

5237.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Nice stuff. Did you find a couple of those in-situ @frankh8147?

Edited by josephstrizhak

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Congratulations. Those are some swell finds Frank. I feel privileged to have been with you when you found some of them. Love the preservation of those ammonite/baculite finds. VERY COOL!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, josephstrizhak said:

Nice stuff. Did you find a couple of those in-situ @frankh8147?

Yes I did! I found a few really nice gastropods looking through that stuff too!

1 minute ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congratulations. Those are some swell finds Frank. I feel privileged to have been with you when you found some of them. Love the preservation of those ammonite/baculite finds. VERY COOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Jeff, we've had some good digs lately! That ammonite fragment to the right is the first I've found from here that appears to have that pyrite aspect to it; I put a half glue-half water mix on it so I'm hoping it holds up (I think it should).

Nice finds! Gotta get up there one of these days.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Awesome finds Frank! I especially like the enchodus jaw and the mosasaur teeth look clean cut. Also the thing that you questioned as "ray" is in fact a ray tooth.

: )

Frank,

You forgot to include that awesome Squali tooth you found. I think that's worth showing.

15 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Frank,

You forgot to include that awesome Squali tooth you found. I think that's worth showing.

For some reason, I can't get those colors to show up in my picture. Here is my best attempt.

The other teeth were also from recent digs @josephstrizhak. My apologies for forgetting all about sharks in my initial post - I also found dozens of shark teeth there the past few months but I usually don't focus too much on them for whatever reason.

shark.jpg

shark2.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Some nice stuff.  I even like the bivalve stuck onto what appears to be an oyster shell.

RB

Nice finds! 

Very impressive, some of those. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

51 minutes ago, RJB said:

Some nice stuff.  I even like the bivalve stuck onto what appears to be an oyster shell.

RB

Yep! It is a bivalve (I believe Spondylus) inside a Pycnodonte, a Cretaceous oyster. Here is the other side..

shell3.jpg

shell.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Nice finds. I have red, black & brown mosasaur teeth but I haven't found blue yet. 

• I found this Informative 1

On 5/23/2018 at 12:27 PM, frankh8147 said:

Thanks everyone! Here a few more I meant to add - a croc tooth, fish vertebrae, ray?, and crab claw.

5237.jpg

That looks more like a Mosasaur tooth to me.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

15 hours ago, josephstrizhak said:

That looks more like a Mosasaur tooth to me.

That was a 'self- ID' so I can certainly be wrong. The reason I have it as croc is because I lumped it in with the tooth on the right which was identified as croc by a few long time NJ collectors I trust. The similarities they share are a similar size (a little under half an inch long), no cutting edges, a similar root, and overall - they share a very similar appearance. They are also more 'stubby' than my other Mosasaurs.

It's hard to explain but here is a picture of them (left side, middle) compared to other Mosasaur teeth I have found in the brooks.

croc2.jpg

croc5.jpg

croc1.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

21 hours ago, JarrodB said:

Nice finds. I have red, black & brown mosasaur teeth but I haven't found blue yet. 

Very nice! I personally need to find a green one and a completely red one..

You guys have some great marine Cretaceous at the North Sulfur! I've checked out your gallery before - great finds!

2 hours ago, Masp said:

Now that’s cool^ :dinothumb::dinothumb::dinothumb:

Thanks! :)