Pete Larson’s Response...T.rex jaw

Masp

Well, following up on my theropod ID topic...

Really shocked...in under 8 hours, Tyrannosaurus rex expert Pete Larson gets back to me with this response regarding my fossil  being T.rex or not...I guess after 20 buying mistakes, eventually good things do happen ...feels surreal...

here’s his response to me: (last picture)

Now officially one of my most prized possessions, and maybe the most for that matter..

405D8E60-EA6D-49B4-9F31-7819A3B0837C.jpeg

10D25C73-404B-4995-9763-CADCBEE3A2BD.jpeg

A722AD0D-382E-466A-B21A-2D387114109B.jpeg

2314789A-D2F2-4525-B01F-51788B65C1D3.jpeg

F0EA311A-ED61-471D-BB29-0BCAE12A5CB8.jpeg

C01181AE-C506-4595-AC75-CC02E67D31A0.jpeg

A6A6D872-13F9-4D75-88C0-B47BB50B484E.jpeg

4BC3224E-BC7B-48DC-86AB-F544309A9E98.jpeg

349F52D9-8D05-4C85-BAC4-845B2C0402AD.jpeg

WOAAAAAH! That is beyond cool. Not only is it a trex jaw, but you also got an email from Pete Larson! :D 

Wow.
Congratulations!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

:D:D:D:D    :trex:

He's the man when it comes to Rex...very happy for you.  

Not everyone has a rex jaw section..highlight of any collection.

A little bit of the tyrant lizard in your hand, that’s gotta be cool!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Pete Larson is a nice guy and very accessible.  He certainly has seen a lot of T. rex material! I met him back in the mid-80s when I was up in that general vicinity doing some work on Eocene/Oligocene mammals. Stop in and visit him at the Black Hills Institute one of these days if you can catch him there!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

33 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

Pete Larson is a nice guy and very accessible.  He certainly has seen a lot of T. rex material! I met him back in the mid-80s when I was up in that general vicinity doing some work on Eocene/Oligocene mammals. Stop in and visit him at the Black Hills Institute one of these days if you can catch him there!

-Joe

Sounds really cool I’d definitely like to meet him. Going to Black Hills Institute is on the to do list..unfortunately I’m in Jersey, but absolutely one day I will make the visit there to meet him

Just now, Masp said:

@Bone guy @Tidgy's Dad @Bobby Rico @Troodon @WhodamanHD @Fruitbat Thanks for the kind words everyone.  It really is an awesome feeling..I got really lucky with this one.  Now to figure out a cool way to display this fragile beautiful piece. :hearty-laugh:

It needs a room to itself really. 

I could provide it with one if you like. :D;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

I could provide it with one if you like. :D;)

:dinothumb::hearty-laugh:

11 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I could provide it with one if you like. But first Tidgy needs to mount it to give her approval.:D;)

Just now, caldigger said:

It's Tidgy who'll be giving up her room! :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

5 hours ago, Masp said:

Now to figure out a cool way to display this fragile beautiful piece. 

If it is fragile you will need to protect it and @Ptychodus04

he is very knowledge.

You could make a stand for it . There are plenty of post on the forum about display but @snolly50 has some great ideas .   

All the best Bobby

Thanks for the tag @Bobby Rico I've been pretty sick for a bit so I haven't been on TFF much recently. I think I'm on the mend now! woo hoo.

@Masp, if your rex is fragile, I would suggest stabilizing it with a conservation grade plastic like McGean B15 (PVA), Paraloid, or Butvar. The standard formula is 1 part plastic dissolved in 50 parts acetone by volume. Brush it on and let it dry, repeat until you have a good hard specimen.

Absolutely amazing! I’m definitely   :envy:  and would love to have a bit of rex in my collection at some point. Display it proudly, and make sure to show us pictures of how you decide to display it!

44 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Absolutely amazing! I’m definitely   :envy:  and would love to have a bit of rex in my collection at some point. Display it proudly, and make sure to show us pictures of how you decide to display it!

Thanks so much, I absolutely will!

3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Thanks for the tag @Bobby Rico I've been pretty sick for a bit so I haven't been on TFF much recently. I think I'm on the mend now! woo hoo.

@Masp, if your rex is fragile, I would suggest stabilizing it with a conservation grade plastic like McGean B15 (PVA), Paraloid, or Butvar. The standard formula is 1 part plastic dissolved in 50 parts acetone by volume. Brush it on and let it dry, repeat until you have a good hard specimen.

The original seller of the fossil sent me putty and PVA. But I’m inexperienced with that stuff and I’m afraid I’m going to mess something up. Especially with the puty. Any suggestions on the easiest way to go about it?

87FE6355-3E87-4A1F-8B80-57BD63B94108.jpeg

3DAC21E7-7D7B-4358-B99F-FFCA75133626.jpeg

7 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

If it is fragile you will need to protect it and @Ptychodus04

he is very knowledge.

You could make a stand for it . There are plenty of post on the forum about display but @snolly50 has some great ideas .   

All the best Bobby

I’m definitely open to suggestions.  I actually make custom metal frames (some of those i’ll post another time), so would be nice to create something cool.  My main concern is taking care the fragility thing first, you know what I mean?

13 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

-Joe

Very true.  For those attending the Tucson Fossil show Pete is very accessable and always willing to identify items and address any question you may have.  You can always find him the first couple of weeks by the Black Hills Institute Booth in the ballroom of the Tucson Hotel.  

Also what does everyone think for the jaw display, build a stand, or put it in display case?

Just now, Masp said:

Also what does everyone think for the jaw display, build a stand, or put it in display case?

i've already offered a whole room. 

But, seriously, i would use a display case to keep dust and dirt off it. 

Or a stand in a display case. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

Archived