Pete Larson’s Response...T.rex jaw

Masp

On 5/25/2018 at 2:30 PM, Masp said:

Really love what you did here... thanks for your two cents....the terminology was little advanced for my own scientific understanding. But as long as the area is more or less, I really think it’ll do the trick!! I appreciate it very much.

It's my best guess, based on both what Larson said and what I can see from your photos. You can see the ventral surface (the bottom surface) of the jaw and where 1 or more partial sockets (alveoli) to the bottom of the roots of the teeth are, but the top (dorsal) portion of the jaw segment is gone. It must be more anterior (toward the front of the jaw) than posterior (toward the back) because the sockets are so relatively close to the bottom compared to the distance further back in the jaw. I don't have a good idea of the overall size and shape of the piece so I just had to guess based on the photo with the Rex skull cast at the New Jersey State Museum (incidentally my hometown museum, I've been there many times). If you want to try yourself, it's easy to do, I just drew on top of a found image with old MS Paint and a mouse.

Thank you for sharing the item with us, osteological guesswork is fun!

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, jpenn said:

It's my best guess, based on both what Larson said and what I can see from your photos. You can see the ventral surface (the bottom surface) of the jaw and where 1 or more partial sockets (alveoli) to the bottom of the roots of the teeth are, but the top (dorsal) portion of the jaw segment is gone. It must be more anterior (toward the front of the jaw) than posterior (toward the back) because the sockets are so relatively close to the bottom compared to the distance further back in the jaw. I don't have a good idea of the overall size and shape of the piece so I just had to guess based on the photo with the Rex skull cast at the New Jersey State Museum (incidentally my hometown museum, I've been there many times). If you want to try yourself, it's easy to do, I just drew on top of a found image with old MS Paint and a mouse.

Thank you for sharing the item with us, osteological guesswork is fun!

Very cool...huge help in any case. I’ll definitely do it for other specimens. Thank you!

Looks good. How does it hold the jaw are you adding supports to hold it in place. I hope you don’t mind me asking. Just interested

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Masp,

Congratulations! Great bone...

Cheers,

Ricardo

Thank you Ricardo!

16 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Looks good. How does it hold the jaw are you adding supports to hold it in place. I hope you don’t mind me asking. Just interested

Of course, no worries!

So since the jaw section is curved, on one side of the stand, I left it slightly curved as well to go along with the tilt.  It won’t be noticeable when the fossil is displayed. The oval on the stand is smaller than the measured thickness of the fossil, this way the jaw doesn’t sink into the stand. It should prop it up.  Unless I see need for it after, I’m not gonna add any support as of now. Honestly, I’m not 100% sure if it’s going to work yet. I’m gonna test it, but it should work fine. If not I’ll make adjustments. 

Nice! 

Like the antique 'bronzed' effect. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice! 

Like the antique 'bronzed' effect. :)

I  was thinking that , it quite simperfectic to the look of the jaw bone. :)