Help me confirm this one?

Forthefossils

Hello! I work in a place that involves a lot of hiking along trails, and I've found myself tripping over fossils every day. Until now, all have been very clearly crinoids and brachiopods. This one threw me off a bit, and I was hoping to get some insight on what it might be! Also, I'll get more pictures by the end of tomorrow (different angles, scale, etc) - I snapped a quick pic and then promptly forgot it at work, oops. (And yes, I do have permission to keep fossils found there, but I intend to find something less common than crinoids and brachiopods for the owner's grandson)

Location info: Northeast Ohio, summit county. Found partially buried along a trail, lots of brachiopods and crinoids in the area.

p2kdJI4.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome to the Forum ! :)
It reminds me of conulariids .

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

15 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Welcome to the Forum ! :)
It reminds me of conulariids .

+1

A uncommon and nice find indeed!

Welcome from Maryland!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I would think that would be pretty large for a conulariid. :unsure: 

Some dimensions of the stone would be helpful. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

4 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

large for a conulariid

The mother of them all!

It does look to have the distinctive 'crease', though, and I've run out of other things that could look like this.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Found this picture online, seems to be of comparable size but I don’t know the size of the OPs specimen

3EE9EEE3-30F7-49FC-9EE1-27E8FA33DA8F.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks for the replies! I'd been suspecting conulariids, but wanted to get some external input! I wish I'd remembered to grab it before leaving work, I fully intended to take some pics with a penny for scale, haha. (As well as from different angles, as it has a fair amount of "curve" to it, if that makes sense). The stone was fairly large, that's my thumb along the site (not helpful, I know - I promise I get some scaling visuals tomorrow!)

The crease and curve were what were throwing me off from being 100% certain on conulariid, so I'm glad I'm not just being crazy haha. I'll get better pictures tomorrow and update! 

Either way, I'm happy to have stumbled into something different. Boss's grandson isn't as excited about brachiopods and crinoids as I am (but they're a snapshot of a time when this was all underwater!), and my boyfriend is probably getting concerned about all the "rocks" I keep bringing home to analyze. Conulariids are pretty interesting, so hopefully this kid thinks so, too, haha. (If not, heck, I'll keep it for myself B))

Conulariids actually get pretty big, and this is well within the size range, judging by the fingertip. I also can't see it as anything else; although some hyoliths are ornamented and can have one crease (sub-triangular cross-section), the ornament here would have to be on the inside as well as the outside... which rules out a lot of things. Nice find!

+1 for conulariid 

Nice find! 

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Paraconularia newberryi from Summit County Ohio:

Driscoll, E.G. 1963

Paraconularia newberryi (Winchell) and other Lower Mississippian conulariids from Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, and Iowa.

Contributions from the Museum of Paleontology, University of Michigan, 18(3):33-46   PDF LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

To anyone still interested in seeing more:

Sorry I poofed for a while there, got smacked down by strep throat at work (it had been progressing for a couple of days and finally caught up with me at the start of a necessary work day) and pushing through my day knocked me out for... a couple, haha. However, I'm back, bearing low-quality pics! I tried my best to avoid any blurring - a lot of detail was still lost, but I did my best, haha. Included is a full view of the rock because there's quite a lot happening in it anyway, and a close-up of the other half as well. 

C2eB1h4.jpgXQmuAAL.jpgA8YOWa2.jpgmyZzwnU.jpgpQFfCIK.jpg

Hi,

A coin isn't the best way to give a size, because only the Americans know the size of your coin and we are many here as foreigners of all around the world... The best solution is either to give the size in the text, or to make a photo with a rule (inch or cm, we shall manage !) ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Yeah, haha, it's certainly larger than the other fossils I find at work but not thatthat big :D

Sorry about the penny measurement! I couldn't find my ruler (/shakes fist at kids), so I just used what I had in that moment. An American penny is 19mm in diameter, if that helps!

I shall not remember it myself the next time ! It is good to take the good habits from the beginning...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg