Very Strange Crinoid

piranha

I had already planned on sharing this a couple days ago.  With the recent posting of the Martian pseudocrinoid, the timing of this new paper is perfect! :o :P

Bonus Points Question: Trombonicrinus (col.) hanshessi gen. et sp. nov.  Does anyone have a suggestion for the use of the abbreviation (col.)?  A colleague responded:

"Odd. I imagine it is for column, but do not really know.  If so, it would be as if they are regarded it as a form genus allowed in the botanical, but not the zoological code."

Etymology:

From the French trombone (earlier, trombon), a brass wind instrument with a slide bent in a tight U-shape (Little et al. 1983, p. 2368).

The overall appearance of this crinoid stem is reminiscent of the slide of a trombone.

Donovan, S.K., Waters, J.A. and Pankowski, M.S. 2018

Form and function of the strangest crinoid stem: Devonian of Morocco.

Swiss Journal of Palaeontology, (ahead-of-print publication) 6 pp.

IMG.thumb.png.a55e6f11308f16f6496b8ace01cf1559.png

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Bizarre. 

And very beautiful.

col. : Colloquial ? Catalogue of Life? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

(col.) is for 'columnal': there is a parataxonomy of crinoid (and other pelmatozoan) columnals, based on morphology without knowing their higher taxonomy (for which you need to see the articulated calyx). So, you get names like Floricolumnus, which is identifiable as a column ossicle, but until someone finds a complete one, we don't know where to place it or what it's related to. It's rather like the parataxonomy of Carboniferous plants - we can give names to 'ferns' based on leaves, but we don't really know what they are until we get the rest of it!

This is a doozie. I had a quite similar (but with more developed rootlets) attachment in Caleidocrinus turgidulus from Llandegley Rocks, years ago - will have to dig out the photo.

Here are a couple of Middle Ordovician examples from Llandegley Rocks: Caleidocrinus turgidulus (assigned to the species from matching the columnal form to articulated specimens at the same site) and an unidentified Iocrinus? (normally they have a simple distal coil instead). It's opposite preservation to the above: rapidly-silicified external moulds, with the calcite dissolved very early. The Caleidocrinus was intergrown with a fallen (or buried) Pyritonema sponge, presumably to help with anchoring stability!

iocrinid roots.jpg

very cool crinoid

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I also discovered some crinoid workers use the symbol: ø 

"Use of the columnal symbol (ø) in this index section indicates the identification or name was initially based on columnals, prior to the discovery of cups of crowns.  It is also applied to columnal specimens that have been considered to be correctly assigned to the taxon based on cups or crowns." 

Webster, G.D. 2014

Bibliography and index of Paleozoic crinoids, coronates, and hemistreptocrinoids, 1758-2012.  LINK

"In this study, the names based on columnals and pluricolumnals are preceded by the prefix “ø”, as done in previous studies of crinoid columnals and pluricolumnals (e.g., Le Menn, 1987, 1988)."

Scheffler, S.M., da Fonseca, V.M.M., & Fernandes, A.C.S. 2015

New crinoids from the Maecuru formation (Middle Eifelian; Amazon Basin, State of Para, Brazil).

Geobios, 48(1):57-69

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Archived