Turtles & More Turtles

sseth

Last season was a great season at the quarry.  For those who dont know, our quarry is in the Fossil Butte member of the Green River Formation in southern Wyoming.  We ended up with three turtles coming out.  Two of them were large turtles, 48" (Apalone heteroglypta) and 52" (Chisternon undatum), and they were found stacked above one another, separated by only 7 inches, and a tiny little guy that is a new species.  I will post pictures of these amazing fossils as they are finished up.  We have Brock @ebrocklds doing the preparation work for us on these three amazing fossils.

Here are pictures of the Apalone.  You can see it took us a bit of time to excavate and collect all of the tiny pieces.  It was in a large fracture zone in the rock.

Enjoy.

trionyx xray copy 4.jpg

IMG_0619.JPG.jpeg

IMG_0677.JPG.jpeg

IMG_1497 copy.jpeg

IMG_1503.jpeg

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

Wow! :envy:

These are absolutely superb! Excellent prep, too! That fish association makes this even more lovely. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

What splendid restoration and prep work.

I love turtles and tortoises! :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

That is really a gorgeous piece! :wub: :drool: How did you get from all the little fragments to what looks like one unbroken slab?

Don

Holy Cow!!  Just freakin amazing!!!  One of my bucket list of things to prep is some of the rare stuff from the GRF!!  I dont think its ever gunna happen, but seeing it is still purty dang cool!   Thanks for posting.

RB

Amazing!

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

6 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I love turtles and tortoises! :wub:

What is the difference between turtles and tortoises ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

;) Thanks.

Which one is Tidgy, dad ?

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Just now, Coco said:

What is the difference between turtles and tortoises ?

Coco

Tortoises are actually turtles,  members of the exclusively land-dwelling family Testudinidae. 

This family comes under the superfamily Testudinoidea which also includes pond turtles, the pig-headed turtle, Asian turtles and the box turtles that live on land but are not tortoises.

This is in suborder Cryptodira, the hidden necks, which contains most of the modern species of turtle and tortoise. 

The other suborder today, the side necks live in ponds in the Southern hemisphere but includes many extinct forms. these are the Plerodira. 

Together with other extinct forms they make up the order Testudines which used to be known as Chelonii or Chelonians, but this term is now out of favour . 

Generally people in the UK refer to land dwelling examples as tortoises and water dwelling ones as turtles and in the USA they are sometimes all called turtles. 

Don't get me started on terrapins. ;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Just now, Coco said:

;) Thanks.

Which one is Tidgy, dad ?

Coco

Tidgy is a tortoise, Testudo graeca graeca.

Snow3.thumb.jpg.888e4898edbacf3fbbb8ba515ff4691d.jpg

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

OK Adam :dinothumb:

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

What a dream fossil!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Archived