rapp creek hunting (nice Mako)

Rowboater

My last trip for a while with summer crowds coming, some of which will spill over into my hunting area.  The recent rains exposed many picked over shells and silted over other spots, but overall there are places that are now easier to dig and sift.  Tried a finer mesh, hoping for a nurse shark tooth; still drying but so far only angel shark teeth, the usual bull and sand shark teeth and one broken cow shark tooth.  The highlight was a pretty mako tooth; perfect blade and intact root (although tip is curved slightly lingually on the end).  These teeth and smaller Megalodons were common when hunting this area 30 to 40 years ago, but the first I've found there in a long time, really surprised me5-25-18-teeth.thumb.jpg.ec80122a648385b2133cc9c87d1f080a.jpg.   

• I found this Informative 1

Nice White shark! The cow shark tooth is cool too!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice little haul! 

Well worth the visit. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks everyone!

2 hours ago, Andy B said:

Nice teeth! Is that  in Virginia?

Yes, small creek bed that feeds into the Rappahannock River

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Nice White shark! The cow shark tooth is cool too!

Hi, the reason I called it as a Mako is there are no hints of serrations.  Is this now thought to be a precursor to modern white sharks?  (I hardly ever find anything  beyond small teeth and haven't kept up with the controversies)

3 hours ago, Rowboater said:

, the reason I called it as a Mako is there are no hints of serrations.  Is this now thought to be a precursor to modern white sharks? 

Hastalis has been reclassified as a Carcharodon and not an Issurus. Hence a white (not great white) and not mako.

Nice haul!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Yeah like @ynot said, consensus currently moves them out of Isurus and into Carcharodon. Most still call them Makos, old habits die hard.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

14 hours ago, ynot said:

Hastalis has been reclassified as a Carcharodon and not an Issurus. Hence a white (not great white) and not mako.

Nice haul!

14 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Yeah like @ynot said, consensus currently moves them out of Isurus and into Carcharodon. Most still call them Makos, old habits die hard.

Thanks both for the helpful info.  I'll read up a bit.

On 5/25/2018 at 3:49 PM, ynot said:

Nice haul!

So this would be classified as a white shark? As in a precursor to the great white? I was confused about this as well because the shape looks very great white to me but obviously the lack of serrations points in another direction. Some clarification would be greatly (no pun intended) appreciated. Nice teeth btw, @Rowboater!

2 hours ago, tatehntr said:

So this would be classified as a white shark? As in a precursor to the great white? I

Yes. Yes. That is My understanding of the issue.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 hours ago, tatehntr said:

As in a precursor to the great white?

Via Carcharodon hubbelli which has slight serrations that fade away just before the tip. That type of shark is typically only found in the pisco FM of Peru and some formations in California. Not easy to get your hands on one.

Carcharodon hastalis (broad form) -> Carcharodon hubbelli -> 

Carcharodon carcharias 

Happy hunting,

Mason