Could I Possibly Do More?

Shamalama

I'm very excited about my upcoming vacation to Colorado/Wyoming/Utah which I leave for next week (the 27th of Aug.). I'll be out there for two weeks visiting with family and also doing some hard collecting! My itinerary is mostly set but has some flexibility:

Blue Forest of Wyoming (petrified wood and wind sculpted agates)

Warfield Quarry in Kemmerer, WY (fossil fish from Green River)

Spence shale in Idaho (Cambrian fossils)

Manning Canyon Shale (Pennsylvanian plants... Thanks Ebrocklds!)

Wheeler shale west of Delta, Utah (Cambrian Trilobites)

Mississippian-Permian exposures of the Confusion Range in Utah

Capitol Reef National Park, Utah

Parachute creek member of Green River formation at Douglass Pass, Colorado (Bugs and plants)

Mesa Verde formation north of Grand Junction, Colorado (Cretaceous plants)

Mccoy, Colorado (Pennsylvanian marine sediments)

Kremmling, Colorado (Cretaceous ammonites)

It kinda stinks that I have to waste so much time driving from place to place but that is the only way to hit the areas I want to visit.

I will have a couple of open days when I am in Boulder, Colorado visiting family if anyone has suggestions for sites that are within a few hours or driving.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Sham you got the dream vacation planed don't know how you can improve it. Good Luck

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Sham you got the dream vacation planed don't know how you can improve it. Good Luck

By taking me along for good company? :rolleyes:

By taking me along for good company? :rolleyes:

Yea that would be better hopefully he will take lots of pics :cool: :cool:

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

So will your wife be digging too?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

There's a fun pay-to-dig site next to the Florissant Fossil beds in Colorado. Best bet is to buy a bag of shale for $20 and split it at home where you can go sllllooooowwww. Found a lot of little bugs that way.

Sounds like a great trip!

What, no sharks teeth?

Seems you have plenty already to do! The fish fossil place is where i want to check, but looking at the prices scare me off a bit.

Delta, UT is a pretty isolated place and the quarry is a few away from town followed by a few miles offroad, so make sure the vehicle is in good shape and have lots of water. It would probably be pretty hot there.

After five false starts I will be leaving for Warfield tomorrow. Be sure to look me up when you get there. I plan to dig for four to six weeks. I missed fossilman, he left today from Warfield, so it will be good to meet a forum member.

Jim

Old Dead Things

I will be sure to post tons of pics, possibly daily if I have the energy and internet availability.

Dare2dream, Good advice! I've experienced the hot dry western environments before (and am looking forward to it after all the humidity out here!) and always have plenty of liquids to replenish myself with. I'll be driving a 4WD jeep cherokee like vehicle (at least that is what Thrifty promised) and in past experience that has been enough to get where I want to be. I try to avoid going "off road" as far as driving on non flat-covered-in-large-rocks-and-brush-and-cliffs like roads. *crosses fingers he doesn't get any flats* :)

Dan, Single man am I. How do you think I could afford to take such a long trip? :P;)

Jax, If I knew where I could find some shark teeth I'd be there!

Jim, I will be sure to ask for you at Warfields.

Xiphactinus, I've done Florrissant years ago and remember that Quarry. Hopefully they are still open/productive when I get out there.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Perhaps, some advice you might want to consider. You may want to bring back extras to trade with others less fortunate ;):drool::D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.