dinodigger

Seymour formation lower pleistocene near Seymour, texas. Bovine on right, who is on left?

20180525_143850.jpg

the left one im not sure, we dont see the 'real' top of the teeth (matrix blocks it or they are really worn)

a jaw of a senile (old age) one :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I’m not good with mammal teeth but the left almost reminds me of a rhino tooth. @Harry Pristis

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

This is my senile camelops.  The small black circle is where the stylid is missing.  This was found in the southern Brazos, so the age of mine is late Pleistocene.Camelops.jpg.ed345f4b96ce562ed4f58f8834a0af91.jpg

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

I’m not good with mammal teeth but the left almost reminds me of a rhino tooth. @Harry Pristis

If definitely Pleistocene, this rules out rhino in North America.  Senile Camelops is a reasonable possibility.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thanks so much for the direction. Starting to work a site with a ton of oddities. Here is a side view of the jaw.

20180519_151047.jpg

One other thing that I didn't say was that my tooth row measures right at 6 inches. Your photo looks to me at least like camelops.

2 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

If definitely Pleistocene, this rules out rhino in North America.  Senile Camelops is a reasonable possibility.

Just looked it up, and I find it strange. I guess all those Miocene rhinos died before and didn’t leave any relatives, and the woolly rhino stayed in Asia.  

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

In the initial comparison image, the occlusal surfaces don't seem to be held in the same focal plane, making the wxtremely worn bovid jaw appear larger.  The missing isolated stylids can be explained by the excessive wear on the teeth -- they're just worn past the base of the stylids.  My best guess.

cow_m3_stylid.JPG

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Harry-

I believe these are both m2 (lower jaw), from adult camelops and bison respectively.  The central loop is quite different between each, with the camel  being more open as you can see hints of in Dinodigger's  m3 (this is faint but still visible).  Tooth size is larger in the camel, although the tooth narrows at the base, which means that the tooth row actually gets shorter as the individuals age.

My reading seems to indicate that the stylid in bovines turns from a circle into a loop with age but really doesn't disappear.

I'm not sure if you have camelops in Florida, but they are reasonably common in Texas. Pictured tooth of Camelops is 43mm, Bison is 35mm wide. (and incidentally 76mm and 58mm long)

-these are much larger than your puny llama teeth found in Florida.:)

5b09bef39a853_camelopsbison.thumb.JPG.dd9ae992c73f929d4fd34dc75803ebb5.JPG

Archived