Little brown bumps on rock

Becky Benfer

What would these small bumps be on this rock? They are round and look like a lady bug sort of but not exactly, when I look at them under a magnifying glass. I think the stone it’s in is sandstone because it glitters  in the sun.

7FBE614D-4963-4ACE-B852-5E8CC22D8A75.jpeg

Hi!

Can You get a little closer and in focus shot of the bumps, please?

And a general locality where it was found might help someone identify it, as well.;)

Steve

On 5/25/2018 at 1:53 PM, Becky Benfer said:

What would these small bumps be on this rock? They are round and look like a lady bug sort of but not exactly, when I look at them under a magnifying glass. I think the stone it’s in is sandstone because it glitters  in the sun.

Hey Becky,

We really need some better pictures in order to identify this.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

They look like iron oxide concretions to me. Similar to moqui balls that weather out of sandstone. Utah and Arizona are know to have them.

We need to know where they were found and definitely better pictures.

2 hours ago, bbrosen said:

Those appear to be Baculites, which were cephalopods, or possibly Big Foot

You're joking, right?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Lol, sorry, I did not see you were from Germany, and that you might not get the Bigfoot joke. I do believe these are baculites. The Bigfoot reference was because your photos were so blurry. Here it seems when some one claims to photograph or video a Bigfoot, its always blurry

I’m actually from USA! I’m in OHIO. I know all about Big Foot - but isn’t it funny no one has caught or found even a dead one yet :hearty-laugh:.   Back to my picture, the bumps are soooo small I can’t focus any closer in to them. I’m sorry. However they appear round in shape under a magnifying glass.

3 hours ago, Becky Benfer said:

the bumps are soooo small I can’t focus any closer in to them.

If You can get a picture of the whole rock that is in focus, does not need to be closer, it would help.

Kim is probably right with iron concretions, but in focus picture will help Us to be sure.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

What sort of phone are you using? 

As we've suggested before, holding the object being photographed is not a good idea because it can create motion blur. Place it on a flat surface, not in your hand.

Assuming your phone has a viewfinder on it (showing the image before clicking the shutter button), you can experiment with distance before snapping the picture. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I have an iPhone but really struggle with clear pics. I try taking them outside, inside, on a flat surface, in my lap, on a towel, but NOTHING works!! AlwYs blurry! I’m frustrated with this phone!

9 minutes ago, Becky Benfer said:

I have an iPhone but really struggle with clear pics. I try taking them outside, inside, on a flat surface, in my lap, on a towel, but NOTHING works!! AlwYs blurry! I’m frustrated with this phone!

Do you have a computer? If you transfer your iPhone photos there, you can probably edit the photos. You can also edit on the iPhone by going into your photos app. The optimal distance should be about 4 to 6 inches away from the object. If you tap on the screen, you can adjust luminosity as well. Even from 6 inches or so, you can use the pinch zoom (but pixel count will be less). When tapping on the screen, ensure that you are tapping on the image of the object. 

I use an iPad, which is like a bigger iPhone. Distance from the object is key. 

Depending on the iPhone make, they are fairly well enabled with a suitable pixel count at around 7-10 megapixels. It really does come down to distance for macro shots.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thank you’ I’ll try to manipulate some of your ideas I haven’t already tried! 

It might be a bioeroded cobble. I don't see anything closer than this, using my imagination, but may have multiple bioeroders (e.g. worms, sponges) contributing to the etched surface. Hard to tell from the pictures and without a comparative scale. :)

359690E6-F14A-4366-AF19-7CC600D57976.jpeg.be4dc8be3344548d81cbf7e1af237150.thumb.jpg.863c1cef6d89743ae5ed30623e12d801.jpg2.thumb.jpg.40f7d28ff509e3542a64252ef1257d9a.jpgp1180642ablog2.jpg.d2419881f57dbf6ae9f4d33b30b6f7e6.jpg

comparative picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived