Billy Palmer, Noted Paleontologist Has Passed Away

Gizmo

Very sad news, noted paleontologist Billy Palmer has passed away, he might also be known by his online name " Paleobum". A great collector, preparer, modeler and scholar, he made many great contributions during his career most recently with the Calvert Marine Museum. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 6.50.42 PM.png

• I found this Informative 4

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.12.00 AM.png

RIP BILLY I WILL MISS SEEING YOU IN YOUR STRAW HAT AND KNEE BOOTS HUNTING PLUM POINT BEACH.

Very sorry to here this. Though I never met him I have heard of his exploits. Rest In Peace.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Sorry to hear this. The folks of the Calvert Marine Museum were always helpful. May he rest in peace.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

He was instrumental in discovering the Santee Formation crabs that were published by Warren Blow among many other achievements. The large Eocene crab, Martinetta palmeri, was named in his honor. Recently an echinoid was named in his honor also; Protoscutella palmeri. These are a tiny fraction of his works that instantly come to mind. Am hoping we'll see a list of publications and other material contributions credited to this great paleontologist.

• I found this Informative 5