DPS Ammonite

I found a sponge in the Pennsylvanian Naco Formation north of Payson, Arizona. It may be the same species as an earlier find although instead of pancake form it is a conical form: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/82186-knocking-about-the-naco-pennsylvanian-sponges-and-corals/&tab=comments#comment-871386

The first photo is of the convex outer surface. Part of top is broken off. Longest length of the sponge is 8cm.

Any ideas as to identity? @Arizona Chris

See photos in additional posts since I am doing this on a phone and cannot reduce file size. 

IMG_0390.JPG

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Second photo is detail of exterior: 

IMG_0392.JPG

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Third photo is concave interior: 

IMG_0393.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Sponge is found with this known sponge: Chaunactis olsoni

IMG_0394.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Before the IDs come in, I just want to say: nice specimens! They do look spongy! (same for the ones in the link which I missed first time around)

Beautiful specimens, Sponges are often overlooked as gorgeous fossils. :)

I can't help though. 

But I know a man who can.

Or at least may........

@Spongy Joe

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Stunning specimens I would be very proud to have found them. Good work.:wub:

I do like a good bit of spongage! Nice.

Well, superficially nice; that external surface is lovely. What isn't lovely is that the interior looks like it's totally recrystallised, which makes it impossible to work out the ID. I'm afraid we're going to have to hope that someone here knows their local fossils - and it's not an area I've worked in, except as an undergrad (in my pre-spongy existence)!

If forced to guess, I'd say that it looks like a Haplistion of some sort, but there are lots of species to choose from.

• I found this Informative 5

The first sponge is a beautiful example of form and structure -- inside and out. The outer-wall pores remind me of Heliospongia, but the overall structure and internal canals indicate something else.

The second specimen is nice too.

Context is critical.