Wing in Burmite Amber

caesar311

Recently, I went to burmite market in Myitkyina City, Kachin State, Myanmar. I bought a few Burmese amber (burmite) include this little one. It is about 1 and half inches big (roughly square shaped) inside there is a wing. I am not sure about what wing it is and I am guessing a butterfly. What do you guys think what wing it is.

wing.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. 

I am not sure there is enough detail to be able to say anything more reliable than it is an insect wing. :unsure: 

Neat piece.
Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Here are more photos. I polished abit to see clearly inside. result is amazing.The wing is in very good condition. interesting.

003.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

I'm also not entirely convinced that's a wing. Can you shoot it from various angles and provide an extreme close up?

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, Carl said:

I'm also not entirely convinced that's a wing. Can you shoot it from various angles and provide an extreme close up?

I agree. Amber can have fracture line that look like this. Earth calling @holdinghistory

I have to +1 the fracture. I hate to do it, but I have encountered several of these at this point. They can mimic wings very convincingly, but I don't see the right types of angles and curves that would be consistent with insect wings. It's still a really attractive piece in my opinion!

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Apologies from me too - I don't see a wing here (just not quite 'right'), just an internal fracture. Lovely colour, though - the sort that could be used for really nice jewellery if sliced thinly. Not that I'm suggesting you should do that. ;)

I agree with you guys. It is very hard to see it in photo or video. At outside, It is different from fractures (I have many with fractures). Anyway, thanks guy

Video.mp4

Edited by caesar311