Strange find from Vermont

Jazfossilator

This was found by my father some years ago at a spot on lake Champlain. Oddly this bone is definitely mineralized or at least partially mineralized, though fossil bones and such are very VERY rare to find in Vermont, it can happen in specific conditions, as was the case with a mammoth tusk found in a peat bog in Brattleboro, VT. And whale bones found on the lake as well. Any clues on this would be greatly appreciated, he’s been wondering for years, and I must say I’m pretty interested by this find since fossilized bone is so rare in my area.

6AEA1C00-2FFD-48E0-ABDA-04FEE90CE3C6.jpeg

49EB5CA1-8E77-4E5C-BFE4-9BBE6C8E9E18.jpeg

10A8258E-C031-410C-A3CF-A35A1AB68F5F.jpeg

83D447B8-92E7-4D71-8E99-06A7969ABB66.jpeg

2E59AAE1-1DC4-48C5-8C13-E874756399FE.jpeg

A797C379-B9C2-4827-80B2-06900D0264D0.jpeg

56F345B4-BFE0-497E-B324-9F441A1FFC0E.jpeg

EBC7AE6C-5CF0-4CE4-8DBE-EF8AE4736195.jpeg

06B0B550-610E-473C-9980-1399665EDAD9.jpeg

A93F4FD0-7E3E-4526-8F12-907B96A09E32.jpeg

7AAF16C4-D8B4-461F-886E-C3328836B306.jpeg

6A0C0EE8-D3FF-4580-A7F1-147E75EBC70F.jpeg

0EF11834-75F0-4939-AACC-9B094EFE25F6.jpeg

I am not seeing bone in this.

It looks like a very weathered piece of fossiliferous limestone.

I think I can see some crinoid prints, burrows and brachiopod steinkerns.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Just now, ynot said:

I am not seeing bone in this.

It looks like a very weathered piece of fossiliferous limestone.

I think I can see some crinoid prints, burrows and brachiopod steinkerns.

Definitely bone, some of the connecting porous fibers are still intact. Also very different from any of the preservations of those things you mentioned above in my area. The photos may be deceiving, but if you held it you’d know it was bone.

8369AB0D-B572-46BE-A5D2-3348BD245CCE.jpeg

6117FC55-F1D7-4C8F-B6C0-87C63E1FB0C4.jpeg

I’m sorry but I’m not seeing a bone either. The beluga whale fossil found in Vermont was found in the soft clays to the south (which was under the “Champlain sea”)

+1 for weathered fossiliferous limestone

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I’ll have to disagree with you both on that one, not out of saltyness I promise haha, rather this is not the right material, texture or consistency for what you are saying. 

2 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I’m sorry but I’m not seeing a bone either. The beluga whale fossil found in Vermont was found in the soft clays to the south (which was under the “Champlain sea”)

+1 for weathered fossiliferous limestone

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

I humbly disagree. It does not look like marrow and the shape does not fit any bone I have seen.

Wait for others to reply.

Understandable, and I appreciate the opinion! I was very confused by it to be honest, the shape isn’t like any bone Ive seen either. Just having dealt with a lot of bones fossilized and not, I am convinced this is one based on texture, consistency, weight, and coloration(which doesn’t match the fossiliferous limestones on those beaches). Perhaps it’s worn or broken in a strange way, or perhaps you are right.

If you have any vinegar, try putting a drop on it. If mineralized bone, it probably won’t bubble. If limestone it most likely will.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

13 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

If you have any vinegar, try putting a drop on it. If mineralized bone, it probably won’t bubble. If limestone it most likely will.

No bubbles, thanks for the tip!

10 minutes ago, ynot said:

This is true, but it is still not a bone.

I said probably because I have a whale bone replaced by calcium carbonate rich rock, which would vigorously bubble.

13 minutes ago, Jazfossilator said:

No bubbles, thanks for the tip!

No problem! This tells us it’s not calcium carbonate (limestone). Could still be a variety of other rocks. 

Still doesn’t look like bone to me. But I have been wrong many time before. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

13 minutes ago, Jazfossilator said:

What would these fibers be if not bone?

Infill between minerals that have eroded out or minerals that form fibrous structures.

I'm not saying this is fossil or whale bone but I do believe it's bone. @Boesse may be the one to ask.

• I found this Informative 2

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

It's crazy the way shapes will play tricks on you I initially thought it looked like a whale ear bone .. but there isn't any way this might be a periotic bone ? (it sounds like rare for bones is an understatement in that area) .... I would want to rule that out just to be sure.  Bobby would be the best bet.

Cheers,

B

• I found this Informative 3

I see more ppossibility of bone than you other guys, but if it is bone it is definitely a weird shape.  Bobby?  

Definitely not bone; the texture is not right.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

really doubt this is a bone from the looks and it being from Vermont is almost a breaker for even the possibility. Dr.

Boessenecker is where the buck stops though when it comes to cetaceans.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thats awesome! I am pretty sure it is a periotic...let me see if I have a piece and photo that looks similar. Seems like I have one that is horse/camel with the same strange canals...

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 4

So here are some photos of the periotic I have. Yours appears to be much more complete. I guess I could be wrong with the periotic ID as I have been oh so many times before. 

I dont know that they are from the same critter but wanted to show for comparison purposes. The first photo shows a similar narrow canal that runs around the fragment.  A firm ID to Genus level wasnt possible on mine as a result of the incompleteness. 

5b0a2b43c3a74_Unknownperioticshowingcanal.thumb.jpg.606e75bccf0c35a2914a8b2c12f8dffa.jpg

5b0a2b9ca9676_Possiblehorsecamelperiotic.thumb.jpg.2fb96721a7cbc09c82e2f4be35349429.jpg

Here is a fragment of a dugong periotic6 photos  with similar types of structures/textures. 

5b0a2bcd84243_UnknownPeriotic1thru3.thumb.jpg.125896268a4a43880935cbc529172194.jpg

5b0a2bcedb8e6_UnknownPeriotic4thru6.thumb.jpg.810082ed8ee5b4d6a913ad218ea2bc47.jpg

Hoping Bobby, Harry or someone else can narrow it down for you. I agree that when they get worn and are only fragments they just look like odd geologic blobs. Looking forward to seeing what yours turns out to be....

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 6

1 hour ago, Plantguy said:

I am pretty sure it is a periodic.

:blush::blush: I hate it when I am wrong!:blush:

But I think Chris has it on this piece. Had to be a big critter to have an ear bone that large.

5 hours ago, Jazfossilator said:

The photos may be deceiving, but if you held it you’d know it was bone.

You have My apologies Sir, I was wrong.

Thank you all for answering! 

7 hours ago, ynot said:

:blush::blush: I hate it when I am wrong!:blush:

But I think Chris has it on this piece. Had to be a big critter to have an ear bone that large.

You have My apologies Sir, I was wrong.

No worries my friend, happens to the best.

8 hours ago, Plantguy said:

So here are some photos of the periotic I have. Yours appears to be much more complete. I guess I could be wrong with the periotic ID as I have been oh so many times before. 

I dont know that they are from the same critter but wanted to show for comparison purposes. The first photo shows a similar narrow canal that runs around the fragment.  A firm ID to Genus level wasnt possible on mine as a result of the incompleteness. 

5b0a2b43c3a74_Unknownperioticshowingcanal.thumb.jpg.606e75bccf0c35a2914a8b2c12f8dffa.jpg

5b0a2b9ca9676_Possiblehorsecamelperiotic.thumb.jpg.2fb96721a7cbc09c82e2f4be35349429.jpg

Here is a fragment of a dugong periotic6 photos  with similar types of structures/textures. 

5b0a2bcd84243_UnknownPeriotic1thru3.thumb.jpg.125896268a4a43880935cbc529172194.jpg

5b0a2bcedb8e6_UnknownPeriotic4thru6.thumb.jpg.810082ed8ee5b4d6a913ad218ea2bc47.jpg

Hoping Bobby, Harry or someone else can narrow it down for you. I agree that when they get worn and are only fragments they just look like odd geologic blobs. Looking forward to seeing what yours turns out to be....

Regards, Chris 

Thank you very much for sharing that piece and helping me figure this thing out! :)