Florida megs

Florida fossil hunter

Hello, new to forum. Found these over last 4 days just walking around wash out areas behind empty home lots on ponds that were close to rivers. Others have found much bigger stuff but the quality of these really surprised me. 

2932A97C-3A8D-4A94-BCF2-7FB2EEAF7F80.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

I love the color of the top right one. Congrats on the nice finds! Thanks for sharring.

...I'm back.

Some really nice teeth, there. :)

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

They are all great, the one on the top right is magnificent! Nice finds:dinothumb:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Awesome finds for sure :yay-smiley-1:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

You lucky man you. I hunted the peace river TWO YEARS before finding my first meg (still my only one!) Welcome from beautiful Arcadia Fl.

My wife and I hunted Brownsville station area. Pretty well megged out, I think. I heard some people jumping up and down about finding megs but we never saw them. We’ve only come up with a half and bra and pieces of megs there. 

41 minutes ago, Florida fossil hunter said:

My wife and I hunted Brownsville station area. Pretty well megged out, I think. I heard some people jumping up and down about finding megs but we never saw them. We’ve only come up with a half and bra and pieces of megs there. 

I found two very good finds at Brownville last june. I was walking on an exposed rockbed about a mile downstream of the boat ramp. I saw it laying there from 20 ft, said to myself, "oh look, a mastodon tooth" Then, about 15 ft away was this vert (dugong?) solid as a rock. I was amazed, just laying exposed at the end of season in a well picked area. You do mean Brownville in Desoto county, right? 

P1010010.JPG

P1010011.JPG

P1010018.JPG

P1010019.JPG

Yes, Brownsville camping area off of the peace river in Arcadia. We just went for the teeth but there are some really cool fossils there. We tried the place 4 times and I gave up trying to find megs there. Water levels are too high now that rainy season is here anyway. Those are AWESOME finds. 

• I found this Informative 1

Oh man .. those teeth are fantastic .. nice haul.

Cheers,

B

Nice finds. I would definitely take a stroll there after the next good rain.

This is what got us thinking about trying a new way to look for megs. The guy who found this practically tripped over the thing. 

3B283C0A-3372-4B83-8E2E-98C1688AB9B8.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

37 minutes ago, Florida fossil hunter said:

Yes, Brownsville camping area off of the peace river in Arcadia. We just went for the teeth but there are some really cool fossils there. We tried the place 4 times and I gave up trying to find megs there. Water levels are too high now that rainy season is here anyway. Those are AWESOME finds. 

Never give up, high water always changes things. Key is, getting out there as soon as it gets diggable and walking a decent ways further than the average person that accesses the river from the park, is willing to hoof it.

Wow, that top right meg, absolutely gorgeous tooth. What I would give for one of those! :envy: Where in Florida is this? Welcome to the forum! There is a wealth of knowledge here :) 

Hi tatehntr, I’m in Sarasota. We’ve hunted around Venice, nokomis, Bradenton beach and peace river areas. Would like to try Myakka River when water levels go down (tons of BIG gators though). 

You did very well! Nice finds!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

5 hours ago, Florida fossil hunter said:

Hi tatehntr, I’m in Sarasota. We’ve hunted around Venice, nokomis, Bradenton beach and peace river areas. Would like to try Myakka River when water levels go down (tons of BIG gators though). 

For sure, like a gator sanctuary! Gators in the Peace, but as a Fl native, I have NEVER seen so many gators in one spot!